Is the inside of your home's garage painted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
When we bought our new home, the garage was not painted. We initially chose not to paint the drywall but we're now wondering if we should.

Is there any benefit (besides cosmetic) to painting it?

The only benefit I can see is that it adds a protective coat in case you get any light moisture on it. The paint might shield it some. (but of course not completely).

Drywall loves to soak up moisture. (especially w/o paint)

moisture attracts termites.

termites... well you know the rest.

I doubt it will add any "value" to your house having it painted, but it might add some garage "curb" appeal to the next potential buyer.

You're only looking at a couple buckets of primer for $10-$12 each and a few buckets of paint for $10-$20 each.

or skip the primer and just use an exterior category of paint for the garage. Exterior paint is typically a little thicker and made to stick better than interior paint. Often exterior paint has a mildew additive. If not, you can get the paint store to add it. Since the garage is prone to more moisture than inside, not a bad thing to add. Using a bathroom specific paint will have moisture/mildew additives also.

Since exterior is thicker also, you can prob get away without having to do a 2nd coat also.

the walls of mine are, but not the ceiling. the one benefit of not having a painted wall/ceiling, is it makes finding them studs just a bit easier!

House built in 1928, garage walls and ceiling painted Stucco...

I actually kind of wish my garage had never been drywalled even let alone painted. A garage is a place to "get things done" not a place for "isn't that pretty". I would rather be able to move shelving without fear of marking the walls as long the exterior walls were well insulated. Plus it allows you to do plumbing and electrical however you want.

Mine are drywalled and painted. I think the P/O may have used it as an "office." I'm glad it is finished that way - fewer spaces for cobwebs/spiders to gather.

My garage is insulated, drywall and painted. I installed a heater in the garage about 10 years ago, and it sure came in handy these past few weeks with temps as low as -20 deg f.. Its much nicer to get into a car that is 40 degs. f rather than one in the teens.

Jim Breslin

Painting with a nice bright white will make whatever light you have in there go further. Bouncing the ceiling light off the walls (and floor if you coat that with a light-color floor paint) will help kill the shadows, which is great if you actually work there and not just park.

We insulated, sheetrocked, textured, painted, then built and covered the garage walls with seven 4'X8'X24" cabinets. Much cleaner with TONS of storage. Plus all of our prized junk is hidden from view.

.....Plus all of our prized junk is hidden from view.

MINE TOO :D. It is hidden from the other prized junk. I have a single car garage and am still 2.5 cars away from getting my car into my garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom