is the idc supposed to be easy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know its a bit late for suggestions now but my CD gave some good words of advice. He recommended not to try for the highest score but to concentrate on PASSING the tests instead. He mentioned that nervous IE candidates would blindly try for a perfect score instead of focusing on the main points, consequently scoring below passing grade by forgetting important safety information or proper diving technique. His example was a guy who studied so hard for his IE that he didn't think to bring an extra cylinder for the open water portion of the IE. The candidate, having studied like mad between the classroom/pool (OK Confined Water) and Open Water forgot to get it filled and concerned that explaining his problem would lower his score, tried to use the same cylinder from the pool session the day before. He ran out of air and although surviving the dive consequently FAILED the IE.

My CD wasn't trying to say that minimum effort was all that was required but not to get so blinded trying for a 5 when you should be concentrating on overall performance. A perfect score is nice to brag about when you go for dinner after the IE but really doesn't mean anything a few years later.

Whether it worked out or not please remember this. You had the courage to try. I know guys who took the IDC then never went to the IE. In most cases fear of failure was greater than it should have been, as all of them were better divers than I am. Had they tried I have no doubt they all would have succeeded. In my books trying makes you successful, regardless of outcome.

Well guys, I haven't had internet over the weekend, so now that I've got it back, here's my update... I'll be getting an Instructor badge next to my posts as soon as padi processes the paperwork. :D

After the open water section, I was actually a bit concerned that I'd have to repeat it because I couldn't even finish my second skill (or so I thought), but still scored a 4.8 on it. It was a hover skill, and the student's problem was power-inflation, went up from 19ft to probably 5ft trying to stop the ascent, then sunk most of the way back down without equalizing... my ear was not happy and I couldn't descend again to finish with "remember, don't power inflate, now try it again". The examiner told me to just get back on the boat. I think I'll be looking more closely for that when I start teaching because it's not really something I'd prefer to repeat too often.

Well guys, I haven't had internet over the weekend, so now that I've got it back, here's my update... I'll be getting an Instructor badge next to my posts as soon as padi processes the paperwork. :D

In the words of Pink Floyd: Welcome to the Machine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom