is the idc supposed to be easy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Failed the Standards Exam? Wow. How does one do that when you can use the Manual? Oh well...

Back on topic. Your CD should have absolutely no doubt in their mind that you will pass the IE before you even go. The IE should really be a "formality" at that point. If there is doubt, etc. the candidate should not even be going. The IE Examiner explained to me that by the time you go to the IE, you should have "5's". His comment - you will be starting with 5's - you lose the points at the IE, not gain them.

My CD told me last night that he's not worried about any of us at the IE. At this point, I can't say I'm stressed out about it, but I am a bit nervous. If there's one thing I'm worried about, it's the possibility of getting a project aware question for the knowledge presentation, but if that's what I have to do, that's what I'll do.

Nervous, anxious, it's all good. Now you remember what your students will feel like! Just remember to follow the steps you learned for making presentations. My presentation had to do with dead air spaces - my prop ended up being a drinking straw picked up during lunch break.

Failed the Standards Exam? Wow. How does one do that when you can use the Manual? Oh well...

At our IE one of the guys failed the physics exam. I don't know why for sure but I think he just blanked out. Some people get really stressed out about exams.

Back on topic. Your CD should have absolutely no doubt in their mind that you will pass the IE before you even go. The IE should really be a "formality" at that point. If there is doubt, etc. the candidate should not even be going. The IE Examiner explained to me that by the time you go to the IE, you should have "5's". His comment - you will be starting with 5's - you lose the points at the IE, not gain them.

I would agree with that but nerves can get the best of you too. I remember on the last day, one of my mates made a 5pt descent with his snorkel in his mouth. He went through the steps with the "students" and we all did what he said and then he put his own snorkel back in..... I was playing one of the "students" and quietly moved in between him and the examiner to block his view and my mate swapped out to the regulator a couple of metres under water. LOL. This guy was a good diver and an experienced DM but he had a bad case of the jitters because it was the last thing he had to do for the spot-lights before passing.

R..

---------- Post Merged at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Nervous, anxious, it's all good. Now you remember what your students will feel like! Just remember to follow the steps you learned for making presentations. My presentation had to do with dead air spaces - my prop ended up being a drinking straw picked up during lunch break.

I had to do the differences between the inner workings of different brands of dive computers. It nearly turned into an hour long lecture on decompression theory :D

R..

Rotuner,

Yeah, that's very true...if you get wound up and are a bundle of nerves, things will happen even for the best prepared.

Yeah. In my case the IE really was a formality. I had been working as a DM assisting with OW courses for several years and had already >1000 dives under my belt but I was anything but relaxed during the IE weekend. In fact the only time I did feel relaxed is when we were in the water. LOL

Part of what made the presentations a challenge is that all of the written material I had with me was in Dutch but I had to give all of the presentations in English and constantly switching back and forth between two languages was overheating my brain. :)

R..

I'm awed that so many of you can remember that much from your IEs (or IDCs for that matter). I can only really remember a couple of things from my IE. I got very cold in the pool and I (and others) got out and went into the hot tub next to the pool to warm up. I totally screwed up the Rescue Scenario and had to do it a 2nd time (they gave us 2 chances) and how the Examiner was very helpful in slowing me down. The last thing I remember was that during the OW skill that I evaluated, I had to correct one of the "students" over and over again. I thought he was just messing with me but it turned out he just had a hard time with the skill (whatever it was).

Peter,

Please don't be in awe of my inability to remember important stuff!

Well, written exams are done and I haven't failed yet, lol, did pretty well actually (lowest score was 92, i think), so I'm happy with that. Had a massive brain fart while preparing my knowledge presentation this evening, though. It took me a while to figure out that the obvious con-ed to sell for a question about DM conducted programs is the IDC, duh. Pretty happy about my skill assignments, partly because I don't have to do CESA (except as a student, twice). Tomorrow should be fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom