Is the DAN O2 Provider class worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm missing what's covered in the DAN course
For one thing, how to handle oxygen safely. For another, how to administer it to more than one person, and how to assemble the equipment to do that. You might actually try looking up the course on the DAN website and learn something about it.

Dude, you asked a yes or no question. The answer is yes. If you want a different answer, ask a better question.

I have an opportunity to take the DAN O2 Provider course. Is it worth it?

I took both the DAN O2 Provider course and the DAN Advanced O2 Provider course, several years apart. The second course was taught by a physician. Both courses are extremely worth it, and I strongly recommend taking both courses as soon after your open water course as is practical for you.

rx7diver

I had DAN and it's a good course. Well worth it. I also got refreshers annually for years. The refreshers are great for maintaining familiarity with the equipment if you don't personally own it.

The DAN O2 was part of my SDI Rescue Diver Course. IMHO, this should be taught at the OW Cert level.

Depends on the instructor. DAN course is the same as the PADI course.

The instructor is what makes the difference.

Anyway an O2 provider course is worth it.

In some states pure 02 has the same control as narcotics.

So without the provider cars you are looking at prison time if you have it.

Shops here will also not fill a 02 bottle if you don't have a provider card.

I assume the DAN O2 provider course is similar to the BSAC O2 administrator course.

Fundamentally, these are first aid courses.
In my opinion, anyone doing any regular diving should attend an O2 administrator course, and subsequent refreshers. Even more so if you are doing more advanced dives involving extended decompression and mixed gas.

The course will go through diving related injuries, symptoms and first aid treatment. Predominantly, it will be DCI, but also near drowning etc. (First aid for diver related injuries is generally provide 100% O2 and evacuate to medical aid ASAP). There will probably be some AV and CPR exercises as well as O2 enriched AV and CPR.

Within my branch we tend to teach the O2 admin' course bi-annually. Encouraging everyone from Ocean divers (PADI OW) up, to attend, plus all those who have previously done the course. Generally, it's a fun day which ensures valuable skills and knowledge are learnt and refreshed.

I assume the DAN O2 provider course is similar to the BSAC O2 administrator course.

Fundamentally, these are first aid courses.
In my opinion, anyone doing any regular diving should attend an O2 administrator course, and subsequent refreshers. Even more so if you are doing more advanced dives involving extended decompression and mixed gas.

The course will go through diving related injuries, symptoms and first aid treatment. Predominantly, it will be DCI, but also near drowning etc. (First aid for diver related injuries is generally provide 100% O2 and evacuate to medical aid ASAP). There will probably be some AV and CPR exercises as well as O2 enriched AV and CPR.

Within my branch we tend to teach the O2 admin' course bi-annually. Encouraging everyone from Ocean divers (PADI OW) up, to attend, plus all those who have previously done the course. Generally, it's a fun day which ensures valuable skills and knowledge are learnt and refreshed.
In addition to the above, AED (Automated External Defibrillator) is now taught as part of all lessons including Basic Life Support (BLS)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom