Is the DAN O2 Provider class worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an opportunity to take the DAN O2 Provider course. Is it worth it? Is there anything to learn about providing oxygen at sea level? From my nitrox course I know it's dangerous under high partial pressures, but the partial pressure at sea level would never be above 1 atm. So I'm missing why a class is necessary. Just hold the mask on the victim and that's it, right?

Three different doctors who were also divers claimed to be familiar with the DAN program and highly recommended it.

While I have taught this course under different agencies, I still plan on taking the DAN courses due to thr potential of getting some nugget that I can share with students or possibly a gap in my understanding or how I teach. You dont know what you dont know and this is important stuff

Before I became a dive pro I took both the PADI rescue class and the SSI stress and rescue. Redundant in a way but different approaches and I found doing so valuable.

I have taken the DAN 02 Provider course, with refreshers. My original course, was taught by a doctor. It's very helpful and does not cover what is covered in your Nitrox course.

There is certainly a completely different bit of information between a Nitrox class and an O2 provider class....

There is certainly a completely different bit of information between a Nitrox class and an O2 provider class....

Was just thinking that myself. I was scratching my head at the OP’s thinking that his nitrox class would cover what he’d need to know to administer O2. :facepalm:

I have an opportunity to take the DAN O2 Provider course. Is it worth it? Is there anything to learn about providing oxygen at sea level? From my nitrox course I know it's dangerous under high partial pressures, but the partial pressure at sea level would never be above 1 atm. So I'm missing why a class is necessary. Just hold the mask on the victim and that's it, right?

I've seen O2 save a diver's life. I didn't have the skills to set him up with O2 but thankfully another diver did. He would have brain dead otherwise by the time USCG got there, instead all he got was a chamber ride and sinus infection.

Sam

Was just thinking that myself. I was scratching my head at the OP’s thinking that his nitrox class would cover what he’d need to know to administer O2. :facepalm:

I can clarify for you. I learned in my nitrox class that a ppO2 above 1.4 or 1.6 can be dangerous. Lower ppO2s are safer. I only mentioned the nitrox course because it's my source for this fact. I know that a nitrox course does not cover providing O2.

Given that the ppO2 of pure oxygen at sea level is 1.0, providing oxygen at sea level should be safe.

I'm missing what's covered in the DAN course.

I'm missing what's covered in the DAN course
The ability to get O2 fills for your diver first aid kit!
(Plus instruction in support of that and of using it.)

No O2 provider card likely means no 100% O2 bottle in your car.
No 100% O2 bottle in your car means no 100% O2 in the injured diver(s).
(Unless you have an Advanced Nitrox card.)

Without the class and an O2 bottle, what O2 do you plan to administer?

With the class, I'm sure someone with an O2 bottle, who likely has the training, would be happy for the help.

Back
Top Bottom