Is the Atomic T2 Reg as good as they say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo1mick:
... and for me weigth matters, due to a lot of travel
Dude... it's 8 ounces. Just buy a B2 to save $700 and pack one less pair of socks.

Solo1mick:
I will be keeping my Abyss for air
No after using an Atomic, you won't. :D

Solo1mick:
Can you explain what you don't like about the swivel..? I would have thought that it was one of the pluses....???

It's cheaper w/o it :)

Solo1mick:
Hi,
I am new to the board so first of all let me say hello to everybody.
I was recommended this site be a friend and I must say it looks packed full of useful info.
I am thinking about buying an Atomic T2 titanium regulator. My friend just posted the thread regarding titanium and EAN mixes.

But what I need to know is it as good as they say.

I asked one guy and he told me that if you dive with this regulator you will never go back to anything else.

I currently dive with a Mares Abyss Mk05 but in Scubalab test results for 2005 the T2 scored 93 out of a possible 95 and Abyss scored 79. It states this is the difference between a very good regulator and an unbelievable regulator.

I would appreciate any first hand experience anybody has with reg and there thoughts on any pro’s and cons they might have.

Hello Mick,

Welcome to SB. Before investing in a Titanium regulator, please read this thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=44932

couv

Yep, they are as good as they say. Two year maintenance cycle instead of one, and the titanium 1st stages are heirloom items. Brass and chrome 1st stages wear internally over time and change the internal tolerances. Titanium does not.IMHO titanium should not be used with nitrox mixes, but I think recreational mixes are OK If I'm wrong, please correct me.

That being said, they are extremely high performing, but I don't think a human being can tell the differences a machine can detect. The Abbyss has been mentioned. Great reg, and it holds the record depth for a open circuit rig, (Go diaphragm!) at a 1000 plus feet. Long term maintanence costs can be high, since parts come out of Italy, and it's heavy, but very good reg.

Just my opinion.

-Nomad

couv:
Welcome to SB. Before investing in a Titanium regulator, please read this thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=44932

couv

I've read this thread and most of it is a bunch of Urban Legends. Newer titanium regs (SP and Atomic) are good up to 40%. Other regs are good up to 100%, but anything over 40% require O2 cleaning. Simply put.

I read one post where he read the reg burst into flames with a 30 something % mixture. Garbage. I've accidently used my Titanium reg with 50% and yes there was a chemical reaction, yes my reg heated up and melted the O rings, but it didn't burst into flame nor did not explode like a mini A bomb on my back. The air simply got hot and tasted nasty. The reaction took about 10 minutes and I surfaced. That was it. No more drama.

The reg got serviced and I didn't grab a random tank in my garage anymore.

You won't find a better reg than the Atomic, however, unlesss you're excessively rich or plan on not rinsing out your regs after diving in salt-water, there's no reason to go with titanium.

The titanium reg (T1/T2) is also not for high O2% mixes (this may or may not be an issue for you).

Although you save a little weight while transporting, you'll just need to add it back as lead when you dive, so from my perspective, it's a bunch of extra money for not much gain.

All the Atomics from the least-expensive to the most-expensive breathe the same, so you should select one based on the features you need and its intended use.

I dive in cold < 40F (and sometimes funky) water, so I chose the M1 because it's sealed and won't freeflow. I'm using a Z1 with the cold water kit (sealed) for a backup.

They're both flawless and you'll never need to "upgrade" to anything else.

The first-stage has an extremely high maximum flow rate, which means you and your buddy can share air and both suck as much as you want at any depth without it becoming harder to breathe.

Terry

Solo1mick:
Hi,
I am new to the board so first of all let me say hello to everybody.
I was recommended this site be a friend and I must say it looks packed full of useful info.
I am thinking about buying an Atomic T2 titanium regulator. My friend just posted the thread regarding titanium and EAN mixes.

But what I need to know is it as good as they say.

I asked one guy and he told me that if you dive with this regulator you will never go back to anything else.

I currently dive with a Mares Abyss Mk05 but in Scubalab test results for 2005 the T2 scored 93 out of a possible 95 and Abyss scored 79. It states this is the difference between a very good regulator and an unbelievable regulator.

I would appreciate any first hand experience anybody has with reg and there thoughts on any pro’s and cons they might have.

I think they are as good as they say they are. B2 for me. The swivel is nice.

dpthdiver:
I've read this thread and most of it is a bunch of Urban Legends. Newer titanium regs (SP and Atomic) are good up to 40%. Other regs are good up to 100%, but anything over 40% require O2 cleaning. Simply put.

I read one post where he read the reg burst into flames with a 30 something % mixture. Garbage. I've accidently used my Titanium reg with 50% and yes there was a chemical reaction, yes my reg heated up and melted the O rings, but it didn't burst into flame nor did not explode like a mini A bomb on my back. The air simply got hot and tasted nasty. The reaction took about 10 minutes and I surfaced. That was it. No more drama.

The reg got serviced and I didn't grab a random tank in my garage anymore.

OK, first off, I will admit that there are a few post in that thread that do not add up. But if one reads the info from the very knowledgeable DA Aquamaster and Greg Barlow it is plain to see that Ti is just a waste of money.

Secondly, if you, yourself have experienced problems, albeit non-explosive, with high O2 and your Ti regulator, how can you say MOST of it is Urban Legend? As one poster succinctly put it, "I could think of some other items I would spend the extra money on."

couv

OK, first off, I will admit that there are a few post in that thread that do not add up. But if one reads the info from the very knowledgeable DA Aquamaster and Greg Barlow it is plain to see that Ti is just a waste of money.

So since they believe they're a waste of money, that's it? No more questions to be asked? "OK, since they said it, they're bad." Doesn't make since to me.

There's a couple of reasons people like titaniums regs and the biggest factor is the lack of corrosion. I don't have corrosion problems and my reg performs great, so therefore I like it. I also read that people have to add lead, because their regs are lighter? What???? You lose a few ounces and have to add lead to compensate for it?

Secondly, if you, yourself have experienced problems, albeit non-explosive, with high O2 and your Ti regulator, how can you say MOST of it is Urban Legend?

Have you, first hand, ever read any news or saw pictures regarding exploding regulators? Have you seen any type of recalls concerning these little incendiary time bombs? Its usually the "I had this friend and he saw" speech.

As one poster succinctly put it, "I could think of some other items I would spend the extra money on."

So can I. I'm not stating everyone should get a Ti, because that's the way to go. I'm just saying make your decision based on facts, not these phantom exploding time bombs that everyone's friends seem to know about. Regulator manufactors are not going to put a product on the street that, in the event a person makes a mistake, they're going to pay for it via an explosion/fire. Just follow the directions listed in the manual and you'll be fine.

Ok; The difference between the B2 and the T2 is....small: some weight, less corrosive. Both are good with Nitroix up to 40% ... other then that, its a luxury just LIKE all more expensive equipment; cars; motorcycles; houses; whatever; if you can afford a T2, buy it, it rocks...if its too expensive buy the B2 and have you LDS do the Magnum Lever upgrade (around $130), it'll then breathe identical to the T2; ALL the Atomic regs breathe Great; work great; ARE GREAT!!!
T2, B2, M1, Z2 (2 versions)

BTW, their masks are great, too! And BCD's are on the Way!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom