Is something wrong with my reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just messing around with my regs earlier, I realized that I can breathe in a little bit through my octo even when it's not attached to a tank. There is resistance, but I can definitely get some air into my lungs through it. My husband and I have 4 second stages between the 2 of us (a primary and octo each) and I cannot do this with any of the others.

Should I have this checked out? I last dove this set in June and it seemed to work fine. Of course, I didn't use the octo other than taking a "check-breath" before most of my dives. I'll be diving again August 25th.

Thanks!

Check to see if the plug is in your 1st stage din/yoke to seal the system. If the system is closed and you are getting air you need to get it checked.

It's possible that if your primary 2nd stage has an anti-set feature you could be drawing air in that stage, down to the 1st, and out the octo without the reg pressurized or there being a vacuum leak. The best way to make sure would be to remove the primary 2nd from the 1st, install a port plug in the hole you just made, and try again to draw air on the octo. Make sure that the 1st stage dust cap is securely installed, or better, put the reg on a tank but leave the valve closed.

As a cheap and dirty alternative, plug the mouthpiece of the primary 2nd and try the octo again. If there's no change, and you're sure the 1st stage dust cap is in place, then yes there is a leak in your octo. Most likely causes are loose/torn mouthpiece, leaky exhaust valve, damaged or folded diaphragm, cracked case, or a worn o-ring.

And a 3rd (but rare) possibility: Place your thumb over the very end of the BC inflator hose fitting, and repeat the test.

It does not seem like it should be possible, but I have been able to draw air all the way to a through 1st stage to the 2nd stage I was testing, via a "leak" in the inflator hose fitting, and had a heck of a time tracing the leak.

But far more likely are the causes listed by halocline and skankpile above.

Do get it checked out.

Best wishes.

If you had an Atomic primary 2nd,wouldn't the seat saving orifice allow this? I will try mine when I get home.

Most regs will let you inhale a small amount of air if the cap is not secured over the inlet (DIN or Yoke). It's normal, as the seat in the first stage is always lifted off the orifice if the first stage is below the set intermediate pressure (about 140 psi).

As mentioned above, cover the inlet - your thumb is good enough if you do not have a cap for it - then inhale and you should not get any air.

If you still are the most likely sources are the exhaust valve or the diaphragm. It could be the exhaust valve sealing less than perfectly on the flange on the case due to and, dirt, etc, or it could be a torn exhaust valve or a torn or pin holed diaphragm.

And it might just be normal. A second stage should not leak through the exhaust valve until at least 20" of water, but many people cab suck harder than that, so if you are sucking really hard to get a small amount of air, it's probably not a problem.

Thanks all... turns out it was the diaphragm not sealing right. I lifted it up and then when it went back down it was fine. I couldn't see in very well, but it nay have been folded.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom