is Sidemount diving more safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there,

are there any statistic works who shwos that sidemount diving is more or less safe than back mount?
cause of redundancy or similar?
If many accidents were related to out of air situations (including regulator failure), perhaps side mount would be safer.

It seems, however (you can have a look at annual statistics at BSAC website Annual Diving Incident Report ) most incidents are not because of this.

Safe diving is not just plainly having redundancies- too manyof these is also bad- it is about planning, adequate training, ascent, keeping limits and more.

Sidemount can mitigate some risks, such as OOA or reg failure but it provides no immunity from a fast ascent or DCI or whatever are the major causes for accidents One can argue that having more air supply can cause divers to push decompression limits, for example.
iti

How do you guys feel about a slinging two bottles, with a backmount singles rig?

In open water, not cave diving, it seems wasteful not to use the space on our back.

And have you ever lost a reg, because the valve was partially closed, but functioned fine at the surface? Inflating my wing and breathing both regs is part of my routine, every single time I reach the back of the boat. Impossible to jump with my valves off.

How do you guys feel about a slinging two bottles, with a backmount singles rig?

In open water, not cave diving, it seems wasteful not to use the space on our back.

And have you ever lost a reg, because the valve was partially closed, but functioned fine at the surface? Inflating my wing and breathing both regs is part of my routine, every single time I reach the back of the boat. Impossible to jump with my valves off.
That's normal; two tanks, one either side, both with bungee holding them neatly behind the armpit.

With a backpack** on my back 🎵🎵.... Hi-de-he, hi-de-hi, a diving we shall go

** A Revo of course!

Thanks.

If indy doubles is taboo with my local instructors, maybe slung tanks will appease them.

That's all sidemount would ever be to me: Easy to reach valves. For training, or strict teams.

Thanks.

If indy doubles is taboo with my local instructors, maybe slung tanks will appease them.

That's all sidemount would ever be to me: Easy to reach valves. For training, or strict teams.
you forget the feeeeling. ever been skiing with that long thingies normally a thatcher uses at work and then changed to Carving skiers? thats how i describe it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom