Is September too risky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Still planning my "dream" dive trip with my sons and trying to juggle their work/school schedule.

We have a narrow window where everyone is available at the beginning of September but I know that September is peak hurricane season.

I know there are no guarrantees in life but I'd love some opinions whether it's too risky (weather-wise) to plan a dive trip to Cozumel in September.

Thaks everyone!

Bob (Toronto)

I would just make sure you get trip insurance.

Just FYI, I have been there many times in September with no problems but I do get trip insurance and I will be there in August or September this year :D

Trip Insurance for sure, the last hurricane season prediction I saw predicted an above average season this year. however is still the early forecast so allot will change by the time September hits.

I would just make sure you get trip insurance.
Honestly Coz doesn't get that many hurricanes, nothing like Florida - and people keep going there. Now I did escape Coz in advance of one once, when I should have canceled and filed trip insurance claims instead as it was Cat-4 and headed that way, but it's rare. Hehe, and do check weather often; the night before I left, people were arriving. "What hurricane?"

I usually go in late August for my birthday, which is always when I had to escape, but went back last year, going again this year. About the same risk as your idea: low.

I do always take trip insurance tho, for medical coverages mostly, but for many other unexpected problems. Cheap and great when you need it. I use Travelsafe.com - very competitive.

August & September are the highest month for tropical storms in the Yucatan. These are the two months of a greater possibility of a storm to travel up the Yucatan Channel and impact the area. Even with those odds - your chances are still fairly low of actually seeing a tropical storm.

Been down many times during that time period with no problems. Like others have suggested - travel insurance. Between the lower rates and less tourist it is a good time to go.

If that is your best time to go, then I would go! But like the others said, I might get some trip insurance.
We were there the first week of Aug several years ago, and though it was hotter than heck and we had a rain shower for a little while each afternoon, the boats still went out and diving was great.

robin:D
this time tomorrow I will be at the airport arrival area!! woo hoo!

I have trips booked for August and October. Its what works for me and my schedule. I have made many trips that time of year with no issues.

I've been there the last 2 Septembers. Week at Blue Angel both times. In 2009 there were 3 rooms occupied (including mine). Most days it was just 5-6 of us divers in the Chiquimax with Jorge'. Never had a drop of rain, never had a windy day, never had a meal in a restaurant with more than 3 other tables filled. It ain't called "Septi--hambre'" for nothing. Go for it. Once every 10 years there might be a hurricane at some point in the season there. I'll take those odds every time.

Still planning my "dream" dive trip with my sons and trying to juggle their work/school schedule.

We have a narrow window where everyone is available at the beginning of September but I know that September is peak hurricane season.

I know there are no guarrantees in life but I'd love some opinions whether it's too risky (weather-wise) to plan a dive trip to Cozumel in September.

Thaks everyone!

Bob (Toronto)
Even at the height of hurricane season, the odds of a hurricane hitting where you are, when you are there, are very low. Plenty of folks go to Cozumel in August and September. Go for it.

Back
Top Bottom