Is Scuba A Sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering the fact that ESPN now shows poker, pool, and bowling, I think the bar has lowered on what can be defined as a sport. I define sport as (this is just my opinion) a competition between individuals, that exerts you both physically and mentally. While scuba can definatly exert you, its not competative. Unless of course I bring up the biggest lobster on the boat!

pleasureable pasttime ~ most definitly
sport ~ certianly
competitive sport ~ certian aspect of diving
extrem sport ~ definitly, simply put: you screwup and you die!

We all know ( most of us !! ) that when diving, it is not the diver who swims the fastest who is the better.

As one of my instructor once said: " Scuba diving is not and Olympic sport "

But why not consider which diver stays under water longer on a specific amount of air ??

World record : 1 hour and 30 minutes on a 12 liter tank at 25 meters !!!

I consider diving a good recreational hobby.

I tend to associate sports with teams or individuals that are competing against each other or individuals or teams who are attempting to achieve a specific goal before the other individual or team does.

When I dive I dive to enjoy, not compete.

the K

canismajor:
Ok... as I brought it up, allow me to redefine. I'm asking about scuba diving in general. Not a specific division or type of it. I'm talking basic recreational diving.

Hope that helps clarify.

It depends on how you approach it. I've pushed basic recreational diving to the limit and I train to dive. So for me, yes, it is a sport. For vacation divers who dive infrequently - probably not.

Tanked2.0:
Considering the fact that ESPN now shows poker, pool, and bowling, I think the bar has lowered on what can be defined as a sport. I define sport as (this is just my opinion) a competition between individuals, that exerts you both physically and mentally. While scuba can definatly exert you, its not competative. Unless of course I bring up the biggest lobster on the boat!

Yo T2, not to be argumentative (as I so often am) but just to have a little fun with a point: ESPN now defines what is sport?

It all comes down to how you define sport. IMO a sport involves competition and there are winners and losers. Soccer, baseball, basketball, football, swimming, track, poker .... they're sports. Things like hiking and scuba diving I consider hobbies and excellent forms of outdoor recreation, but I don't consider them sports. Some activities are kinda blurry and can be either one. For example, rock climbing, kayaking, mountain biking and running. These can be purely for recreation or they can be competitive. I'd consider them both sports and hobbies. But IMO ... Scuba is purely a hobby and not a sport.

Every dictionary you can find will have a definition of sport as a recreational hobby, diversion, or pastime.

There are many (myself included) that choose to not accept this definition of sport, but we're still wrong when we say that a recreational hobby, diversion, or pastime is not a sport.

Diving is indisputably a sport, even if I don't really believe that. :)

Of course it's competitive - We all know the first one to 500 psi wins. I win all the time.

This is Wikipedia's diffention.

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Used by itself, sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sports are used as entertainment for the player and the viewer. It has also been proven by experiments that daily exercise increases mental strength and power to study.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom