Is RAW really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would forgo the RAW, unless you are really interested in post camera image enhancement, I have the RAW hack on my 570 with similar limitations. I don't shoot as many pics as you but I have stopped using the hack except if I really want something to play with. Others will disagree, I can live without RAW for fun photography. The 570 and 590 do a good job with their in camera firmware. The one place I have a use for the RAW, shooting my fisheye and ultra wide angle lenses it is easy to get blown out highlights (sun, reflections in the corner etc) and the RAW seems to let me get more dynamic range it seems, however, if the data is not there, completely blown out, it does no good anyways.

The dSLR shooters are coming at this from a different perspective than those of us who shoot for fun with P&S cameras. Several of them could no tell the difference between a Nikon D3 pic in RAW vs the P&S jpeg, when you are web displaying or making 4X6 prints, well,it is not the same as a cover shot or a serious amateur trying to push the limits of his equipment and skills. N

So far, after reading all of your posts and other threads I'm leaning towards RAW. My take is that in the end, it's all about the type of photography one intends to do and your interests and skills as a photographer.

As I said, I'm a graphic artist and underwater photography is my hobbie, but I want to take the best picture possible in all possible ways. Sometimes I spend 3-4 hours just looking at my pictures from a dive, tweeking them, color correcting them and making them look better. I'm kind of a freak in that matter so I guess RAW is for me. I'm willing to settle for less photos, with better quality.

In the end, after I make about a dozen dives, I should really know for sure what works best for me.

Sometimes I spend 3-4 hours just looking at my pictures from a dive,
\

One more thing, FWIW... if I shoot a couple hundred RAW images I'm looking at 2-3 hours just getting them off of the card and onto my hard drive. I don't know if I have some kind of problem, or if this is normal. It is what it is.

I shoot RAW for all the reasons mentioned - but to me one of the biggest reasons is that when I get home and go through the pictures the last thing I'd want to run across is something I shot .jpg that I couldn't "fix" to the point I wanted. It happened to me ONCE before because I wanted to save some space and I kicked myself for it because it's not like I can just fly back down to Roatan and get that same shot again.

As you have mentioned RAW gives you the best platform for editing photos from. It gives you the greatest amount of detail and leeway with the initial exposure. As you know JPEG is a compressed version of RAW where some of the information has been deleted to make the file smaller.

In terms of memory size. :admin: I've read that someone has and uses a 16Gb card in their Canon A590 IS and is quite happy. Another advocate of this writes.

Therefore my advice is to go and buy a 8/16Gb memory card. :D You wont have to open the case in-between dives nor compromise on shooting RAW. That will allow you to take pictures and video to your hearts content as long as the batteries work that is :)

To those that say you should take less photos..... well yes and no!
I can take hundreds of photos and delete over half of them at the end. But i've never come away saying "i took too many photos", it's usually the exact opposite!

I don't know you level of photography but there could be an argument for you moving away from taking thousands of "happy snaps" (what you just take photos on a hit and miss basis) towards a more learned approach (composition, exposure, etc). For great tips on digital photography check DPS! You won't regret it! :idhitit:

One more thing, FWIW... if I shoot a couple hundred RAW images I'm looking at 2-3 hours just getting them off of the card and onto my hard drive. I don't know if I have some kind of problem, or if this is normal. It is what it is.

Are you getting the pictures straight from the camera or using a card reader to get the pictures. Some cameras don't support high-speed USB transfer so using an external SD Card Reader would make things a lot faster. If you ARE using an SD Card, make sure you connect it to a USB 2.0 (high speed) port. Some times some of the ports in the computer are not 2.0. If you are using a PC integrated SD card, the same thing applies. Make sure the drivers are configured properly. If not, it will take a LONG time to download anything.

I shoot RAW for all the reasons mentioned - but to me one of the biggest reasons is that when I get home and go through the pictures the last thing I'd want to run across is something I shot .jpg that I couldn't "fix" to the point I wanted. It happened to me ONCE before because I wanted to save some space and I kicked myself for it because it's not like I can just fly back down to Roatan and get that same shot again.

That is exactly what I'm saying. I get frustrated right now if that happens to me, so if I can minimize that, I'm jumping on the opportunity.

\

That seems too long. Sounds like you are loading from your camera...buy a card reader. I have a card reader that is like 3 years old and cost me $15 at Sam's Club :) I can download everything from a day's diving in only a few minutes. I can download a whole wedding (usually four cards, all 8GB, between 1/3 and full each...well over 1000 RAW images) in less than half an hour.

As for shooting RAW...I'd say give it a go and see how you like it. RAW isn't just about being able to tweak. it's about having the best data possible to produce the best image possible. For the web and for small prints, you likely won't notice much of a difference in a well exposed, well executed image ... but if you are blowing it up, printing on something like canvas or metallic papers that show tonal gradations more aggressively sometimes, or wanted to tweak, or wanting to pull just a section of the image for a creative application or abstract print then you'll see a difference.

And who knows what the future holds. To me, jpeg is like tossing out the negatives from film days ... if you want to revisit the image, it's harder to do :wink:

And FWIW I shoot a lot both slr and compacts...I admit I don't use the hack on my compacts usually and I always regret it LOL

\

Kev - that seems odd. What camera/card are you using?

I just picked up a Nikon D-90 and an 8GB card. I shoot RAW+JPEG as well, and downloading 350 images (700 files) takes less than 20min to download and import into Lightroom. Maybe 10min.

Are you reading from the camera or a card reader? How old/slow is your computer? I have a fairly new computer with a built in card reader and just pop the card out of the camera and into the computer.

Usually I take more than 300 photos on a 2 tank dive, so I would have to limit myself...

Too many pictures! Think of everything your missing on the dive while you're spending the whole time looking at/through your camera. I dive with folks who come back from a dive with 200pics of a single nudibranch, only to find out they didn't see the whalesharks behind them or the pod of dolphins that buzzed the safety stop, or that leprechaun diving a rebreather.

Take your time, look around, and take fewer, better shots.

As Mark Twain once said "If I'd had more time, I'd have written a shorter letter."

:D

What you are really finding out is that digital photography is more than just capturing the images. Welcome to the world of post processing work flow. With film you sent off the rolls and got back the pictures that you stuffed in a drawer or a shoe box. Maybe you waded through the negs. or slides to make larger prints.
Now your computer is the shoe box. If you're just sending emails etc. use jpeg [fine]. If you want to "work" the images on any program, start with the most image information. But regardless you have to file them so you can find the good ones. Lots more time on the computer.
Also I would recommend using several 4gb cards rather than one big card. What if you loose the one big card or drop it the water? All the shots are gone. Spread your possible losses out so not all your work gets ruined with one accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom