Is Poseidon worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have also been HOG and Deep6 in the group under the ice... The Sherwood SR2 (dry sealed piston - no packing) looks real interesting, and I have gotten some to try in the cold.

It really comes to the question of "what is convenient"?. Service and parts... How/where do you plan to deal with maintaining them? What is supported locally?

Not anymore, I used to do it when I had the strength to get out of my warm bed early in the morning to go diving under the ice or in freezing water. I now live in Libya where I complain very loudly when the water temperature approaches 16C in the winter.

I dove in NY/NJ and New England for almost 30 years way back then. Never used a full face mask just because of the cold. I owned a dive center in Rockland county in NY and serviced ALL of the local dive rescue teams, they ALL used masks from OTS without exception (with communications extensions). I don't see me using anything else other than an OTS mask if I had to wear a FFM.

I sold and serviced (and used for a while) Poseidon regulators and was one of the top repair centers for Poseidon in the area. We also sold and serviced Scubapro, Atomic, Sherwood, Mares, AL and others. We had a very busy service center with 5 - 7 service technicians on staff including somebody who worked for many years as the service and warranty manager for one of the top dive equipment manufacturers in the world. We were also the warranty service center for one of the top dive equipment manufacturers in the world for North America.
Any chance you knew Darryl from Dive Inc. I think that was the place he owned??

I do NOT see them as anything special compared with the offerings from Scubapro, Atomic, Apeks, etc. for technical and cold water diving.
The military and oil/gas industry would certainly disagree with the Scubapro and Atomic regulators as neither are used for their cold water applications with the Poseidon and Apeks regs being the only ones that can pass the Norsok tests and the Poseidon regs being the only modern regulators being used in Antarctica nor do I know anyone today that advocates for either to be used under the ice, sealed or not, they are simply not the right design *MK17 and 19 as Scubapros exception but it still can't pass the Norsok tests for properly cold water diving.

@Fishdip I own an Atmosphere, it's a great FFM, but it's a little quirky compared to my OTS unit.

In either instance, unless you need the communications I wouldn't go with a FFM for ice diving, too much of a PITA.

The military and oil/gas industry would certainly disagree with the Scubapro and Atomic regulators as neither are used for their cold water applications with the Poseidon and Apeks regs being the only ones that can pass the Norsok tests and the Poseidon regs being the only modern regulators being used in Antarctica nor do I know anyone today that advocates for either to be used under the ice, sealed or not, they are simply not the right design *MK17 and 19 as Scubapros exception but it still can't pass the Norsok tests for properly cold water diving.

@Fishdip I own an Atmosphere, it's a great FFM, but it's a little quirky compared to my OTS unit.

In either instance, unless you need the communications I wouldn't go with a FFM for ice diving, too much of a PITA.
Do you know if the Apeks XTX 200 passes the Norsok test or only the MTX-RC series?

New to diving only a few in but 80% of my diving will be in very very cold water. IE ice diving/ glacier run off! Looking for cold water gear Poseidon keeps coming up as the best option. Is this just marketing or are they really worth the price? Right now looking at the full face mask.

I purchased my Poseidon Odin regs in the mid-1990's to use for extended-range diving in the (very cold) Great Lakes. At the time, I had been diving Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable/G250 regs, which I had brought with me from the Midwest.

Among the reasons why these Odins were very highly recommended at that time are: (1) They are true 300 Br. regs. (They are much more stable on "pumped" HP cylinders than my SP Mk 10's are.) (2) They are able to deliver a lot of gas--a lot of air/nitrox--effortlessly at extended-range depths. And (3) They have exemplary performance in very cold water.

Also, (4) the layout of their ports means mounting the Odins on back-mounted doubles makes for a very nice/clean hose routing.

I still have my Odins, though I haven't given them much love for ~20 yrs (when I last dove extended-range Great Lakes shipwrecks). But I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if I ever returned to this type of diving.

rx7diver

if you aren't looking to mail out for service or spend some time going DIY, the apeks mtx-rc is the easier route.

else poseidon or a double hose is going to be harder to find service for and likely involve mailing or DIY.

Did they update their gear at McMurdo? I know that at least in 2019 they were still using Sherwood regulators.

Did some poking around the USAP's site and looks like still their reg of choice Antarctica Photo Library

Not saying it can pass whatever tests are needed for the oil/gas/military extreme users, but it certainly can withstand whatever cold water diving a user in the Basic Scuba forum can throw at it.

New to diving only a few in but 80% of my diving will be in very very cold water. IE ice diving/ glacier run off! Looking for cold water gear Poseidon keeps coming up as the best option. Is this just marketing or are they really worth the price? Right now looking at the full face mask.
"Is Poseidon Worth it?"

As of this year, I have been using their gear for forty-five years, and never once saw a reason to ever switch anything out, having had ample opportunities to use any number of other brands over the years. The regulators are almost "overbuilt" -- and the Swedes, to their credit, know a little something about cold water . . .

In answer to your question, you're thinking of the "Poseidon Atmosphere," which I have used for years -- both for the cold and for "suspect" waters while collecting samples. It is near-impossible to flood and it delivers air without fault, under both ice and "balmier" conditions, such as Nanaimo (British Columbia) Winter waters of 5˚ C and elsewhere.

There are a number of threads which mention the Atmosphere as well as the larger topic of full face masks, which are a real subject of its own; and may be an acquired taste, for some, as well as require some specialized training.

Equalizing may take some getting accustomed to, since the mask has a "nose-block" instead of having your nose easily available for Valsalva. The mask is pressed against your face and you blow through your nose against the adjustable block to equalize. Also, there is a potential danger of having to remove a FFM under very cold water conditions (the topic of bradycardia is mentioned, at some length, in a number of SB posts).

The Poseidon mask is fitted with an altered Jetstream (the so-called PP, swapped with the similar guts of an XStream second stage) and is positively-pressurized; that is, it is intended to slightly free-flow into the mask, which serves to offer a positive seal; to continually defog the thing, and to further vent any potential CO2 build-up. It is usually mated to an XStream first stage (which is great under the ice, right out of the box, and requires no further environmental futzing), though I initially used them with the 2900s (the Odin, in the US), years back, along with either a metal or rubber environmental cap, filled with either vodka or a tasty alcohol and glycerin combo.

The Atmosphere will also require a hood, intended for FFM diving, with a neoprene skin, for the FFM to seat, since it doesn’t seal well against typical wetsuit nylon; and it cannot be worn under a hood, due to the positive pressure and potential buoyancy issues that would created. It can also easily be fitted with communication devices, if so desired.

Ballasts may also be required, for shallower waters, in the form of weights (see photos) that can be mounted to the mask itself, on its "rail,” which are now on the expensive side, but can easily be cobbled together, as we did, for years, from rubber bicycle tubing; lead shot and cable ties . . .

Attachments

• 37E2525A-B4D3-45D2-AA54-B6238E87AE8A.jpeg
    37E2525A-B4D3-45D2-AA54-B6238E87AE8A.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 79
  • A30F0F7F-5C55-49BB-BAC7-C92036508711.jpeg
    A30F0F7F-5C55-49BB-BAC7-C92036508711.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 3723C903-FEF6-4FAC-B3F5-750435F03766.jpeg
    3723C903-FEF6-4FAC-B3F5-750435F03766.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 80
Any chance you knew Darryl from Dive Inc. I think that was the place he owned??

No, I don't remember the name. My dive center, I owned it, was Scuba Quest Diving Center in Rockland county. First it was located in West Nyack and then moved to Nanuet.

So, for the bazillion years the local divers in the great lakes, New England, Tri-State area, etc. who used SP, and even Sherwood, are all wrong? I should send them a memo with your thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom