Is Poseidon worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What makes it “quirky” compared to the other one?

The military and oil/gas industry would certainly disagree with the Scubapro and Atomic regulators as neither are used for their cold water applications with the Poseidon and Apeks regs being the only ones that can pass the Norsok tests and the Poseidon regs being the only modern regulators being used in Antarctica nor do I know anyone today that advocates for either to be used under the ice, sealed or not, they are simply not the right design *MK17 and 19 as Scubapros exception but it still can't pass the Norsok tests for properly cold water diving.

@Fishdip I own an Atmosphere, it's a great FFM, but it's a little quirky compared to my OTS unit.

In either instance, unless you need the communications I wouldn't go with a FFM for ice diving, too much of a PITA.

So I have never been able to clear by blocking my nose its always swallow or yawn! With that said I also now have the “bad habit” of breathing out my nose as it is lol. Not sure if this will bite me long term when I go deeper but it keeps the mask nice and clear due to not being clean shaved all the time. I will be doing a FFM class in 2 weeks just to see if I will even like it.

You may then be a good candidate for a FFM. I too was once able to either yawn; swallow; or move my jaw left or right; but wisdom teeth, that came in straight — go figure — put an end to all of that, unless I am really lucky, on a given day.

I'd venture to say that @tbone1004's description of the Poseidon mask as "quirky," either refers to the OP nature of the mask; that, or precisely tuning the rate of free-flow, which were a bit touchy in the older models, though OTS does offer masks of both types -- but I am just speculating.

The added benefit of full face masks -- though there are minor drawbacks, chiefly, price -- is that you are free to breathe through your nose and/or mouth.

Good luck with your class . . .

For give my ignorance but what is this?
1967 USDA Aquamaster Double Hose Regulator with a upgraded VDH (Vintage Double Hose) Phoenix DIN first stage, and inside the cans a VDH HPR second stage, silicone diaphragm, duck bill eliminator (DBE), modern silicone hoses, and a DSV mouthpiece.

The (classic design of a) double hose design has a dry first (diaphragm) stage, and a dry second stage. No chance of freeze flows! It also has massive thermal properties with all the brass body being a huge heatsink.

There is a modern version (VDH Kraken) that also is a fantastic regulator (shown here at -25F air temp and 34F water temp).

1648852760156.jpeg

The military and oil/gas industry would certainly disagree with the Scubapro and Atomic regulators as neither are used for their cold water applications with the Poseidon and Apeks regs being the only ones that can pass the Norsok tests...
Mares first stages fitted with the Twin Balanced Piston dry kit (available on the 15X, 52X, 62X, 72X, 82X) and Ultra Adj and Dual Adj seconds "meet and exceed Norsok-101 requirements at 200 meters". This is the same standard met by the Poseidon Xstream Deep and Apeks XTX200.

I love my XStream as it is very slim under my chin, allowing me to easily look down/back and behind without first moving my necklace reg aside or other contortions. Plus it likely does ok deep and cold should I ever go there.

Just okay?
Anicdotal reports. Plus something about being designed for it. Plus some stringent organization adopting it. Plus that whole Swed cold thing. So, likely. :):whistling:

It also coils up nicer in my bag and looks like I could jump up and down on it on the beach and it would not care. All good things.

They just freak everyone out on the boat when you pressurize them and they "scream". I usually get the comment. "******* Poseidons..." :popcorn:

Do you know if the Apeks XTX 200 passes the Norsok test or only the MTX-RC series?
Tek3, XTX200, and XTX50. MTX-RC has not passed to my knowledge
Did they update their gear at McMurdo? I know that at least in 2019 they were still using Sherwood regulators.

Did some poking around the USAP's site and looks like still their reg of choice Antarctica Photo Library

Not saying it can pass whatever tests are needed for the oil/gas/military extreme users, but it certainly can withstand whatever cold water diving a user in the Basic Scuba forum can throw at it.
They have different sets depending on the teams down there and some level of individual diver preference from my students that were working there. They preferred the double hoses and Poseidons to the Sherwood and Mares.

So, for the bazillion years the local divers in the great lakes, New England, Tri-State area, etc. who used SP, and even Sherwood, are all wrong? I should send them a memo with your thoughts.
Key word "used", also the objection to Atomic and Scubapro is that while an experienced diver can dive damned near any regulator under the ice without issue provided there is no major incident that elevates the SAC rates it does not make them the best choice to go under the ice. Sherwood dry bleeds are a great system, the SPEC boots and similar are not.
What makes it “quirky” compared to the other one?
You have to have a pretty strong inhale to keep it from chattering, doesn't have rails to deal with lights, doesn't have a weight system to my knowledge *though I haven't had any real issue from it being "floaty"* and it will take the OTS comms for the AGA but they go in upside-down compared to the AGA and the cables come out the wrong side which is weird. I love mine for personal use when I need comms, but I do keep an AGA around just in case I'm in with a big team and need something a bit less unique.

Back
Top Bottom