Is on-line nitrox training for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big A

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I would like to take a course on nitrox training and have seen some listed on the web. Are they for real an would the certification be valid? Anyone have any experience in this area or perform on-line training? Let me know, thanks!:D

What agency are they with? For the record my nitrox course could have been online. I picked up my books, read them, did the practice questions, did the exam, and dropped it back at the LDS the next day, did a mix with my instructor and took my temporary C card home with me. There really isn't much to it.

Completely online? Doesn't someone have to show you how to use the analyzer?

Not really, at least with my class. Go down to the shop where you get your fills and they can show you easily.

How things have changed. A few years ago (2004) my buddy did a Nitrox course at an LDS. But because he didn't do any dives here, he got a referral to a shop on our next vacation. And had to demonstrate use of the analyzer and do a dive (or two) before they'd sign the referral...

I think you can do it online with PADI now? Might be mistaken.

I haven't done this cert yet but plan to in a week or so. The way the place where I did my OW did it was you just went in for one class session after reading the book and were certified, no dives.

Yeah, NAUI has a similar system:

Choice A: Take the class and a get a nitrox card
Choice B: Take the class, do two dives, then get a nitrox card with the added word "diver"

What's funny to me about having to go into a shop to learn how to use an analyzer is that the shop we did our nitrox through used a totally different analyzer than what we've since experienced using on vacation. We had to be shown how to use the analyzer since we weren't familiar with it.

SDA offers an on line course. I seem to remember that TDI offered on line Nitrox certification but then you went to a shop to be shown how to analyse. I could be wrong about the agency, though. The most important element is understanding the MOD's for the various mixes. Pretty darned important to be able to analyze your mix too. :D

SDI was the first to offer an Online Nitrox course... and at this time, I believe we are the only RSTC member agency offering it. SDI embraced the eLearning concept more than four years ago with the launch of online Open Water Training. Now we have several SDI online specialties available including Nitrox, Wreck, Deep, Navigation etc. Important to understand, that only the academics are online. Still have to interact with an instructor and, where required, do the field and in-water work.

Currently, none of our TDI curriculum is available as blended (online) training...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom