Is Okinawa Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polyester1970

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're going to Japan in a couple of months for some family stuff and started considering taking a detour to Okinawa or one of its surrounding islands for about 5 days of diving.

Since we already have 3 cities to visit in Japan with an infant, my question is "Is Okinawa diving so spectacular and worth dragging my poor wife and infant to a 4th city in this trip?" How does Okinawa/Kerama/Ishigaki compare to places like Cozumel, Curacao or Maui where I've dived?

It may seem like us already being there makes it more convenient or might save money, but that's really not the case. The detour will cost just about as much as any Caribbean vacation.

Some of the problems we're running into seems to be that the places with good diving don't have much topside activities. We could stay in Naha, but from what I read diving there isn't that good and you need to take day trips to Kerama and then I'd be gone all day (my wife doesn't dive).

Plenty of shore diving in Chatan, and tourist/shopping stuff there as well, about 20km north of Naha.
Check out Reefencounters.org, Doug or Miho might be able to help you out with more info and diving options.

Culture here in Okinawa is truely unquie unlike main land Japan, with a heavy Chinese influence. Films "Tea House of the August Moon", and "Karate Kid" have been made about Okinawa. I have not been to the caribbean, but from reports from those that have dove both places Okinawa, is better. Price for boat trips are comparible or cheaper than in the USA. The reefs are alive and thriving. Okinawa is very safe, you can even drink the tap water. Water temp is about 72-73F, and getting warmer every day. This is due to the Kursho Current or the "Black Current" that is bigger than the gulf stream and comes north from Australia, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Paupa New Guinea. Visibility can be up to 150'. Currently the Humpback Whales are having their babies, and will be departing Okinawa at the end of March.

This weekend I saw 100's of baraccuda, moray eel, octopus, puffer fish, jelly fish, and I was divemastering so I really was not fun diving, and this was all from shore. Take a dive with the whale shark for 1300 yen/$130 with Top Marine at Zanpa ??????????????????????????

So the decision is yours...

Another cool thing that you will notice about Okinawa is that the people here try to speak English. It may not be perfect but it is understandable. Any how they have their hearts in the right place! Diving here is great. You will see loads of tropical fish and sealife. I highly recommend that you try reefencounters like mentioned above. I have had a bunch of great dives with Doug and Miho. Loads of fun!

Polyester1970,

You need to drop your wife off at CoCo's where she will get the spa treatment and they can paint clown fish, manta rays, or whale sharks on her toe nails. In American village spa they have cleaner wrasse that clean the dead skin off of your feet. For the little ones Okinawa has great parks, and slides. The shopping in American village is pretty awsome with a mix of American (Starbucks) and Asian influence. American village also has a giant ferris wheel, 3D Movies, and many places to eat. Many times there are street performers playing on the board walk. All of this is only blocks away from most of the dive shops.

Polyester1970,

To help your planning, I have plotted all the dive sites, english speaking dive shops, and decompression chambers on google earth. The link to the site is: www.hotdive.com from there switch to Japan and zoom in to Okinawa. We have over a hundred dive site you can dive from shore. I can take you out night diving if you send me a PM when you will be on island. Last night we saw: puffer fish, lion fish, squid, cuttle fish, lobster, shrimp, and a giant clam.

Hey Baracuda - thanks for all the info. We are now seriously considering going to Okinawa thanks to you.

Also - another friend might join us. We were wondering if you know anything about vacation rental homes in Okinawa. Seems like there's not much website resources in English for this type of thing for Okinawa. We'll probably stay 1 week, but my friends might stay an additional 2 weeks so a vacation rental might be more affordable.

So far we're considering Chatan or Ishigaki. We want to stay somewhere that's accessible to good diving either by boat or shore, but also with good restaurants, cultural activities (museums, landmarks, etc...), and other topside activities. I'm very interested in Okinawa culture so I imagine if I want to experience that more I need to stay accessible to civilization. I welcome more tips on where to stay.

Hey Baracuda - thanks for all the info. We are now seriously considering going to Okinawa thanks to you.

Also - another friend might join us. We were wondering if you know anything about vacation rental homes in Okinawa. Seems like there's not much website resources in English for this type of thing for Okinawa. We'll probably stay 1 week, but my friends might stay an additional 2 weeks so a vacation rental might be more affordable.

So far we're considering Chatan or Ishigaki. We want to stay somewhere that's accessible to good diving either by boat or shore, but also with good restaurants, cultural activities (museums, landmarks, etc...), and other topside activities. I'm very interested in Okinawa culture so I imagine if I want to experience that more I need to stay accessible to civilization. I welcome more tips on where to stay.

Polyester,

Both Ishigaki island, and Chatan town Okinawa are real nice. Ishigaki is more remote, and may cost more. However Ishigaki is the location where you can dive with Manta Rays. It is easy to take the ferry from Ishigaki island out to Tokatomi and Iromote islands. Both of these islands are legendary as Tomatomi has star sand (google star sand) and Iromote has the Iromote wild cat. The pictures I have of the Manta Rays were from Iromote Island. Ishigaki has numerous dive shops, however the shop owners may only speak broken English. My wife found a hotel on Ishigaki with in walking distance of the port and the shopping area for less than $100 a night, but I forget the name, as a typhoon was about to hit us.

Chatan is the center for touristism on Okinawa Island. It's center is American Village with the Ferris wheel. Chatan has many dive shops many of them English speaking. Okinawa is rich with culture as it was its own kingdom for over 500 years. There are over 23 Castles many of them predating Christopher Columbus discovering America. Okinawa is known for its: textiles, karate, glass blowing, pottery, wasabe (horse radish), and sushi. As for places to stay I recommend the Fishermans Warf or the Morimar resort. They have apartments for rent and they are not far from the whale shark dive. The beach tower hotel is in the center of American Village but it is a real nice hotel. We have every thing from 5 star hotels down to a bed and breakfast, so lodging is more along on how much you want to spend based on how comfortable you want to be.

Search my post for links to the Morimar Resort.

As for places to stay- The Beach Tower is nice and depending on dates special rates are sometimes available. Morimar is a nice hotel but kind of out of the way- you would need a rental car to get around. There are numerous small hotels near Chatan that are inexpensive and would be within walking distance of numerous restaurants, shopping and activities. (Cats Inn being one of them) If your wife is going to be with your daughter while you are diving- you may want to look at a resort for accommodations as this will mke it easy for her to manage while you are out with things to do and close to the room for nap time etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom