Is my wetsuit to tight for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought a wetsuit the other day from my LDS and when I tried it on she told me that it looked like it it me great and to try it in the water and if i thought that it didnt fit just to bring it back. I also tried the size up from that and it was loose in the arms.

I used it this weekend to complete my OW certification. From first on I couldnt wear my board shorts under them because it was crushing them into my "boys" to much, so I took the board shorts off and "free-balled" it. It still seemed a little to tight when we were outta the water and when we were on the surface doing our talks or what ever. Once we did get down to the bottom (at a whole 30') it felt great.

Anyone know if that is a normal fit for a wetsuit or does is sound if it is to tight and I need to try a different size?

Who can say but you. A wet suit needs to fit snugly but not make your eyes bulge out. They also often loosen up once wet and broken in. If you have a "standard" build, mesomorph, you should be able to get something off the shelf. If you have unusual features then custom may be your only real choice. Examples, short stocky or long legs and short torso.

As to the board shorts--ok--yeah--they crunch up in a wetsuit--duh. I suggest some sort of jameer type suit, bike type short (no chamois) or a "Speedo" type. Your not going for fashion, you want to be comfortable. Once out of the suit you can slip back into your board shorts. I also have some neoprene shorts, mine were intended for kayaking and another set for surfing. In any case, I often wear them as a swimsuit and help with extra warmth.
Why does it surprise people that droopy board shorts bunch up in a wetsuit and grind away on your skin--? Oh well, homophobia rules the day in the USA. N

Maybe you bought a female wetsuit, check the cub size?

Nemrod summed it up well.

Standing there dry in the suit can you extend your arms straight up without feeling like you are wearing a bowflex machine?

Touch opposing shoulders with your hands?

Bend over to touch your toes, as well as in your shorts anyhow?

It should fit like a second skin. Seeing the imprint of stitching and seals on your skin when you roll it off after a dive is a good sign.

The suit must not restrict your inhalation nor help in exhaling.

It should fit snug up into your armpits. I happen to be long in the torso. By every spec I'm a perfect Bare XLS (Extra Large, Short cut) however they do not have a torso circumference spec. The XLS is like a rubber band between "the boys" and my shoulders, not good. The XL happens to fit perfectly. My message, cosider body attributes that are not on the size charts. Every brand and even some models within brands have a different body style cut and finding one that agrees well with you is the trick.

Also avoid any bulky swimwear, Jammers or simple trunks work for me.

Pete

Remember, it's all about how the wetsuit fits and feels in the water, not on the surface.

One can normally get some sort of a feeling as to how the suit will perform when submerged, but the acid test is how it performs under water.

. . . and I second the biker shorts or speedo style suit concept.

the K

I may have told this story or some variation concerning going nude under your wet suit. We were diving out of Lauderdale I think it was on a cattle boat. Some fellow went up front with his buddy and took their cloths off and then got in their wetsuits. The captain asked them not to do that again. On the way back in the weather had kicked up, they had been puking from sitting in the wetsuits and I supoose decided to remove them, this time out of sight of the captain. Well, the one fellow got his top off and then got his pants down most the way when a wave hit and he spilled out on to the deck flopping arond like a flounder with all the women on board giggling. Later when the captain told them they were not welcome back he explained he did not like to wear cloths under his suit because they bunch up. The captain explained, cloths no, swimsuit yes! OK, well, rolling around naked on the deck or wearing a speedo type suit (there were no jammers and such back then), does this actually require thought, rehtorical.

Board shorts are not swimwear, I love them on my boat and playing around the water, the loose comfortable fit and ability to get them wet and dry fast, amphibious nature, makes them enjoyable to wear. They are horrid under a wet suit where a swimsuit is needed, not "board" shorts and swimming in them is like dragging a parachute through the water. Board shorts are the best amphibious type play around the water shorts there has ever been, they are also the darn near absolute worst swimsuit I have ever encountered.

You might look into those new hyperstretch type neoprene suits such as from Henderson. They are much more stretchy and therefore might fit/accomadate a wider variety of body styles and be more comfortable as well. N

dhampton82:
I bought a wetsuit the other day from my LDS and when I tried it on she told me that it looked like it it me great and to try it in the water and if i thought that it didnt fit just to bring it back. I also tried the size up from that and it was loose in the arms.

I used it this weekend to complete my OW certification. From first on I couldnt wear my board shorts under them because it was crushing them into my "boys" to much, so I took the board shorts off and "free-balled" it. It still seemed a little to tight when we were outta the water and when we were on the surface doing our talks or what ever. Once we did get down to the bottom (at a whole 30') it felt great.

Anyone know if that is a normal fit for a wetsuit or does is sound if it is to tight and I need to try a different size?

Please let us know if you decide to return the suit after "free-balling" in it so we can avoid that shop. :D

LG Diver:
Please let us know if you decide to return the suit after "free-balling" in it so we can avoid that shop. :D
:rofl2:

Yeah I second the bike shorts or some such thing, I picked some up at Walmart, that were marketed as underwear for like $5/ea, I got several pairs so I'd have clean ones for consecutive diving days :14:, they also dry extremely fast, so I can slip on my shorts after the dive and they don't get wet.

Dive Gear USA makes some great polypro swimwear that is perfect under wetsuits. I have the female 2-piece version and my husband dives with the men's shorts... he even went back later to order a couple more pairs for long dive vactions. They are that "bike shorts" style, but a nice thick material so you don't feel so exposed when you aren't in your wetsuit. Board shorts fit nicely over them for surface intervals. They are quick-drying and have a little bit of insulating ability and good stretch. They are not cheap, but are worth every penny. By the way... I'm in no way affiliated with Dive Gear USA, but love their garments and have purchased a lot of them! www.divegearusa.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom