Is My Scuba Instructor a Former Car Salesman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new OW diver, and also an unrepentant gear lover. I bought a used BC (6 dives on it, it is totally new), and a first and second stage regulator set both from the same seller on Ebay. I'm also frugal (though not cheap) with my gear purchases, because why spend more than you need to? However, I did take them both to my LDS for servicing, as I trust them for that. I don't feel guilty for not buying from my LDS, because there is no way they could have matched the price I paid for both of them. I did buy my OW course, mask, fins, boots, and snorkel from them though. That was like $700 bux. I will also go to them for all my future courses because they did such a great job.

Just to compare, I also like high end mountain and road bikes. I recently spent $1,800 on a $9k carbon mountain bike (one year old) through a combo of selling two other bikes (that were admittedly old) and getting a great deal from a friend who owns a bike shop. You don't always have to buy new, and you don't always have to spend top dollar on your hobbies :)

Back
Top Bottom