• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Is my HID burnt out?

Discussion in 'Lights' started by AdamHorsman, Oct 23, 2005.

1. AdamHorsman

AdamHorsman Solo Diver

Greetings, I should preface this thread with the fact that I have a Sartek 10watt HID focusable lighthead, mated to a "Stealthdive" canister.

My light is not turning on. When I switch the power on to my lighthead, the bulb flickers very faintly (if at all) and if I put it up to my ear I can hear a faint "clicking" sound. I'm guessing that my bulb needs to be replaced, does this sound about right?

Assuming that my theory is correct, do you have any recommendations on places to pick up a replacement bulb.

Thanks.

Adam

2. Tamas

Tamas Solo Diver

Could also be the ballast that is not supplying enough amperage/voltage to the bulb to ignite.

3. jonnythan

jonnythan Knight Scublar ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Might well be the ballast. I think that if the bulb is flickering, it's probably not dead. Do you have access to another light to try the bulb in?

Your best bet would be to call Sartek directly and describe the symptoms to them.

Are you sure the battery is supplying sufficient voltage? Own a voltmeter?

4. AdamHorsman

AdamHorsman Solo Diver

I have a multimeter, I'll take a look at the battery voltage to make sure it's sufficient.

Adam

5. AdamHorsman

AdamHorsman Solo Diver

P.S. That's a negative on another unit to test the bulb in. (although I wish I had spare HID lights laying around)

6. Snowbear

Snowbear NOK ScubaBoard Supporter

My light showed this very symptom when the bulb was not seated all the way in the socket. I pulled the test tube off, seated the bulb and Wah-La!! It worked!

Could also be a bad battery. If it's not putting out enough voltage, the light may flicker and not light.

7. micbu

micbu Nassau Grouper

Hi,

for me it sounds like a dead bulb. It is typical for a dead bulb that there are problems with the ignition. Have you remarked a sensitivity to mechanical shocks before?

Greetings, Michael

----------------
    www.hid-tec.de

8. ericfine50

ericfine50 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    If the bulb is starting to arc and then not firing and you have that clicking noise. The noise is the ballast. It sounds like it is your bulb. Try this trick - go to a very dark room, and try to fire the light. If the bulb is cracked, you may be able to see some of the gases trying to ignite.

Good luck

9. AdamHorsman

AdamHorsman Solo Diver

Thank you for all of the tips.

Adam

10. padiscubapro

padiscubapro Cave Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    one other tip..
    DO not turn you HID on for short periods of time.. You must let it get real hot otherwise you get an oxide buildup and then it wount ignite..

a good rule of thumb is to always let it burn at least 5 minutes... this will prevent alot of problems..