Is Kauai worth diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've spent quite a bit of time on Kauai (we have a house there). Be aware that where you dive will be totally dependent on the time of year. The late fall and winter months typically bring a northern swell that makes the north end of the island, including Tunnels, undiveable. Also, Ni'ihau is only accessible for a few months out of the year - check with the dive operators before you go. The southern portion of the island is where the dive boats will take you - Sheraton Caverns, Ice Box, etc. For a great shore dive you can also check out Koloa Landing - easy access and a fun dive. Aloha!!

So for those of us venturing over to Kauai in the dreaded winter months (late February to be precise), is it worth trying to fit in a dive day, or should we save the diving for Kona? As was mentioned in a previous post, there is so much wonderful scenery top side on Kauai, and my husband and I are very excited to explore all of it. But if the diving is worthwhile in February, I'm sure we can squeeze some time into the schedule to accomodate it. Thanks again to all of you for all of your wonderful and helpful advice - we are looking forward to the trip of a lifetime :)

Jennifer

So for those of us venturing over to Kauai in the dreaded winter months (late February to be precise), is it worth trying to fit in a dive day, or should we save the diving for Kona? As was mentioned in a previous post, there is so much wonderful scenery top side on Kauai, and my husband and I are very excited to explore all of it. But if the diving is worthwhile in February, I'm sure we can squeeze some time into the schedule to accomodate it. Thanks again to all of you for all of your wonderful and helpful advice - we are looking forward to the trip of a lifetime :)

Jennifer

Diving in the winter on Kauai is limited to the Poipu side. But rest assured, the diving is terrific there. Koloa Landing Sheraton Caverns and much more. Dive Kauai, you will not regret it.

Diving Kona is wonderful as well. Don't miss the Manta dive, it is world class!

Is Kauai worth diving? YES! I'll be posting a trip report in a couple of days from my trip over the last 2 weeks.

Jennifer

Yes!!! :D In February, the whales should be singing away and you'll get to hear them while scuba diving. It is my single most favorite experience when diving, listening to the humpback whales singing and communicating with each other, often times for nearly an hour at a time. Jan-April is our whale season and IMO the singing makes the diving here very unique during that time. Also, the winter months = very calm beautiful waters on the south side of the island so, barring aberrant weather patterns, the diving should be great! :lotsalove:

Just got back from a Hawaiian cruise and my wife and I had a pair of fantastic dives with Bubbles Below on Turtle Bluffs and Sheraton Caverns off the southern coast of Kauai. I would highly recommend either of the sites but especially Bubbles Below. Linda really knows her stuff. She has been working in the area for decades and has studied the biology with which she has been swimming. That means she knows where to find the creatures in any given situation and will give you a thorough pre-dive explanation of what to expect and where to find it from tiny shrimp to huge turtles. Then you get to take time to look at it. If you missed something in the pre-dive but saw something you want more info about, she is only too glad to pull out some of her research and show you pictures and complete explanations of what or why.
If you are interested in the biology that is required to produce those grand dives you are trying to make, this is the operation. She's like a mother hen with her divers and I've never dove with a more informative divemaster. In terms of creatures, we did 5 other Hawaiian dives (three off Maui including Molokini Crater, two off the Kona Coast) and no other dive showed us such a concentration of so many creatures of such variety. Turtle Bluffs was astounding. There were turtles everywhere. You had to be aware at all times to keep from swimming into them! They were sleeping. They were cleaning. They were grazing. They were coming up for air.
Rather than simply recommend Bubbles Below or Kauai, I would have to strongly suggest that you give them a try. A great, informative, eye-poppingly thrilling dive is waiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom