Is Kauai worth diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buknbull

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Aloha, I'm planning a 14 day trip to Hawaii with stops on the Big Island and Maui. Would Kauai be worth adding to my itinerary just for the diving? I'm trying to get as much out of this dive vacation as possible but it's looking like a lot of air time hopping between the islands unless the superferry gets up and running in '09.

Another way of asking this would be is Kauai more unique than the other 2 islands i mentioned? while I understand that most dive sites are in deed unique, I'm trying to justify the added leg of this journey to Mrs buknbull.

Also, just so you know... brief dive history.. Jamacia, Cozumel, Cancun, and Lovely Cape Ann MASS.. all summer long.. BRRRR! :D total dives to date.. 21. Not a ton of exp. but getting there.. will most likely be up around 40-50 by the time I get to the islands..

any thoughts on this would be greatly accepted with many thanks...

Buk.

Aloha, I'm planning a 14 day trip to Hawaii with stops on the Big Island and Maui. Would Kauai be worth adding to my itinerary just for the diving? I'm trying to get as much out of this dive vacation as possible but it's looking like a lot of air time hopping between the islands unless the superferry gets up and running in '09.

Another way of asking this would be is Kauai more unique than the other 2 islands i mentioned? while I understand that most dive sites are in deed unique, I'm trying to justify the added leg of this journey to Mrs buknbull.

Also, just so you know... brief dive history.. Jamacia, Cozumel, Cancun, and Lovely Cape Ann MASS.. all summer long.. BRRRR! :D total dives to date.. 21. Not a ton of exp. but getting there.. will most likely be up around 40-50 by the time I get to the islands..

Buk.
Definately,
I just went to Nei'ihau from Kauai with Bubbles Below and saw not only an assortment of endemic fish but the Monk Seals were only a few feet away from us watching us inquisatively. I have over 500 dives and this was the best diving day on record for me so far.

My first dive was in Kuai 25 years ago so things might have changed. The shore diving there was excellent with tons of life. I only did Kuai and the big island but Kuai was much better.

Buk.

So much depends on the time of year. I love diving Kauai, particularly Niihau. However, Niihau is only drivable in the late spring to late summer months.

Here is my report from July.
Kauai Dive Report - Links to Video/Pictures

I dove Kauai with Fathom Five in January this year. Great dives, very good dive operation, fun and competent staff. Highly recommended! I haven't dived anywhere else in the Hawaiian islands, so I have no comparison. I heard that Kauai is less spectacular than other Hawaiian islands for diving. Again, I thought it was awesome. Great underwater lava formations, tons of turtles and great visibility. From what I've heard and read, Kauai is the most rugged and wild of the Hawaiian islands. There is a reason that Hollywood film crews shoot on Kauai anytime they need something exotic. For example, a lot of Jurassic Park was shot there. So for the nature and wilderness alone I think it is worth the trip. The diving in Nihau is nothing less than breathtakingly spectacular from what I've heard, but I think it's only accessible in the summer.

OK, Thanks for the good info. It looks as though I'll be doing Kauai. Should be there for 5 nights.. I'll keep my eyes open on some of the other posts and see what I can find for dive sites. We'll be heading out in Summer. ( June to be precise). again, thank you all for your input.

If you are coming in June, Niihau and Tunnels are a must!!! We're glad Kauai made the cut :O)

"Is it worth it?" is the question that always demands more questions.

But for me, as Ms Scubagirl sez, if you're coming in June, Niihau should be at the top of your list.

Kona, Maui, etc. have great world class dive sites, but diving Niihau is adventure big time - its like the wild, wild west of Hawaii diving. (IMHO)

Kauai - Ni'ihau is a MUST! I just came back from Kauai - I went on this 10-day trip to dive - nothing else (so I went to Sheraton Caverns quite a bit). But, I ended up making two trips to Ni'ihau because it is worth it. Go with Seasport Divers. They have the best/biggest boat. They limit the number of divers - this is a 3-tank dive. A thorough, professional outfit looking out for everyone's safety first - a big plus from my point of view given that you are 3 hours from any professional emergency crew and the closest chamber is on Oahu! Have fun. I'm already trying to figure out how to get back to Kauai.

I've spent quite a bit of time on Kauai (we have a house there). Be aware that where you dive will be totally dependent on the time of year. The late fall and winter months typically bring a northern swell that makes the north end of the island, including Tunnels, undiveable. Also, Ni'ihau is only accessible for a few months out of the year - check with the dive operators before you go. The southern portion of the island is where the dive boats will take you - Sheraton Caverns, Ice Box, etc. For a great shore dive you can also check out Koloa Landing - easy access and a fun dive. Aloha!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom