Is Jamaica really that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you thought the diving in Aruba was really bad, Jamacia will set a new standard for you.

The last two times I was there, I didn't even bother diving. I'll be going again in June. I won't be diving again unless its included in the resort price.

Consider staying on the beach and eating jerk chicken.

Uh-oh! Well it wasn't planned as a dive vacation, just a getaway vacation where I'll try to get some diving and underwater photography in. We are going to stay in the Montego Bay area and the resort has a dive shop, soooooo, hopefully it wont be too terrible. (When I went to Aruba 3 years ago, there wasn't a lot to see and the dive sites they took us were mostly grey/with dead coral bottom)

themons is painting a grim picture of the place. It's not that bad no big fishes but some very interesting small stuff, I've seen sand sharks, rays, and even dolphins in the Negril area.

Last edited:
Haven't really followed the thread but did my first diving in Jamaica in 80's.
wonderful visibility , and tunnels through the reefs but lacked fish life.
this was in Mo bay and that's my memory. wouldn't go there for a dive vacation but if there would definitely go diving unless its report to have gone downhill. Loved Negril but didn't dive, just snorkeled but I am sure its still a fun place if a bit over done IMHO.

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay Jan 08. We also heard all the talk about poor diving and scary places.

As a fairly new diver (then), I totally enjoyed my diving!! Diving in Texas, Houston Area, is mostly man made lakes. You want vis? You go elsewhere!!

Other than not being able to party all night to get up at 7 and drag our gear down to the dock, we saw some pretty cool things. My personal favorite was a huge ray that we just followed around for a few minutes. There are a few small swim throughs and if you like to just watch marine life, take it slow and easy.

We also did a night dive (make sure to take your flashlights along) and that was fun. I don't feel like we saw that many cool things other than a 'family' of 3 small rays and we did do a light turn out to watch some phosphorescent stuff float up. Hearing yourself breathing and your bubbles and being totally neutral and in the dark was soooo soothing. Fastcar was our guide most of the week and Violet in the dive shop was a super sweet lady.

We did a few offsite activities and never once felt unsafe. Skip the horseback ride and swim. It's not a swim, it's a walk around in the water on the horse for maybe 5 minutes. The horseback ride part was ok. The kayak and canopy tour was fun. The shopping tour was to a small gift shop/liquor store (you can get appleton rum in the states fyi), then to a very expensive small strip mall with jewlers and some clothing places, and finally a 15 minute stop at a 'market.' The market were local craftsmen and women. I wish we'd been able to find another area like this that was larger and could have stayed longer. By the time we got there, we were rushed around. We did spend a bit at the market, and they do love to bargain! Make sure you get cash before you get to the airport/resort to tip the luggage handlers and since your resort may not offer an atm.

No Pharmacy Reps approached us beyond the beach, but they do offer necklaces and other items. If they bother you, just walk away with a no thank you.

Also, when you ride around to the offsite activities you can see how poor that area of Jamaica is. I'm not sure if the entire island looks that way and can't pass judgement on it.

As for being a single diver, the crew like to get in the water also and I'll bet if you asked one to buddy up with you they'd have no problems.

I hope you each enjoy your trip as much as I did. I would go back again, but maybe to another location. Why not start at the bottom and move toward the top? :)

That is great to hear about Couples Negril. I'll be there in 3 weeks. How is their equipment. I'm not planning to bring anything other than my M F & S. I was at the Grand Lido last year and their dive shop was good. Equipment is a little used but ok and Orane Foster one of the dive instructors was great. Can you list some of the good sites you dove on so I can request those.

I dove the little reef right off of the Sandals Resort in Ocho Rios. I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of large fans, sea horses, and sea turtles. I live in Venezuela. Jamaica is nowhere near as bad. Trust me, I know. I thought the people were quite friendly and you can simply ignore the drug dealers along the sides of the roads. : ) I'd dive there again. I also recommend Margaritaville after your dives. Its fun to watch drunk people try to jump on the water trampolines.

MoBay has the best reef structures (swim-thorughs, buttress etc...) I've ever seen, and (I flatter myself that) I ain't no nubie. Coral's not so hot and no, there aren't larger fish to speak of, but if one was interested in photography they'd take a macro set-up and do very well. In the absence of big things the small things go berserk. The fact that all diving is less then 8 minutes form shore is nice as well.

My comment(s):
1. I just did 6 dives in Thailand (Phi Phi and Raja Noi). Jamaica was better, imo. Sure Thailand had larger fish, but overall, Negril was better.
2. I think people are being a bit too negative re: Jamaica. I wonder if the people who are trashing the place are the same ones who prefer sanitized resorts where you are insulated from the outside world and know nothing more than the resort and tourists itself. But when they are presented with an environment where there might be a few locals (gosh!), the occasional smell of ganja (God forbid!), and some ‘capitalistic’ locals selling their wares, their world spins out of control.
Listen, you are in a different country. It ain’t America. Accept it for what it is and freakin’ enjoy it. Good Lord.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom