Is It Worth Fixing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanmacneil8448

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
okay heres the story i bought a whites drysuit and a conshell xiv today with gauges and first and second stage. i got it all for 160 bucks canadian and it came with a spear. anyways on my way home i stopped at the local dive site (porteau) to see if the suit leaked its a little short for me i can deal with that. and i found a small leak around the crotch my my thats cold. I also noticed the wrist seals where way to tight and appears to be seperating the neck seal appeared to leak but after doing a search i think i did it wrong, you have to roll it apparently? but my main concern is the wrist seals and the regs are the regs worth getting serviced or would it be better to get a different set? the conshell appears to be for a wet suit as it only has 3 low pressure lines and it only has 1 regulator on it so i would assume that i need a first stage would it be best to you the conshell reg as the octopus and buy a different second stage im on a tight budget and what can i do about the wrist seals if its worth fixing. the zipper appears to be ok the suit and regs are 15 years old but very little use he said sorry for being all over the place ive had a long day and its bed time if you guys have any advice i would really appreciate it

cheers

Are the seals latex or neoprene? Some say you can stretch latex but in my experience if it is really tight you have to cut a ring or two even. My bro has a huge neck, we just cut four rings off his new suit. Neoprene can be stretched over a gatorade bottle, coffee can or something the wrists should upen up some. (Speaking of turning the neck seal makes me think you've got neo). Replacing neoprene seals is more expensive than latex, however they will last much longer. Not sure what is separating, the wrists? They could be repaired/replaced as needed. If you can't get them to stretch enough you will have to get them replaced anyway. I held my neoprene wrist seal together with aquaseal for an extra season out of them.

As for the reg definately have it serviced, let a qualified technician tell you its ok to dive. You should be able to pick up a drysuit hose at an LDS, any old lp inflator hose may work, it depends on what kind of valve your suit has. You might have the suit valves checked out by a tech too, you can check them yourself in shallow water, pre-dive, but may find a problem and have to scrub your plans at the last moment that way.

And of course an obligatory disclaimer ~ you are at least diving with an experienced drysuit diver who can coach you on the nuances of this diving style if not taking an orientation class if this is your first experience with a drysuit, correct?

CD_in_Chitown:
Are the seals latex or neoprene? Some say you can stretch latex but in my experience if it is really tight you have to cut a ring or two even. My bro has a huge neck, we just cut four rings off his new suit. Neoprene can be stretched over a gatorade bottle, coffee can or something the wrists should upen up some. (Speaking of turning the neck seal makes me think you've got neo). Replacing neoprene seals is more expensive than latex, however they will last much longer. Not sure what is separating, the wrists? They could be repaired/replaced as needed. If you can't get them to stretch enough you will have to get them replaced anyway. I held my neoprene wrist seal together with aquaseal for an extra season out of them.

As for the reg definately have it serviced, let a qualified technician tell you its ok to dive. You should be able to pick up a drysuit hose at an LDS, any old lp inflator hose may work, it depends on what kind of valve your suit has. You might have the suit valves checked out by a tech too, you can check them yourself in shallow water, pre-dive, but may find a problem and have to scrub your plans at the last moment that way.

And of course an obligatory disclaimer ~ you are at least diving with an experienced drysuit diver who can coach you on the nuances of this diving style if not taking an orientation class if this is your first experience with a drysuit, correct?

every body i dive with is a drysuit diver. the seals are neoprene. the conshelf xiv only has 3 low pressure ports it already has the dry suit hose on it.it only has 1 reg there is no where else to put another reg so i would assume i need a new first stage

ok update i went to the LDS and purchased some zippper wax seal silicone and seam sealer i waxed the zipper and it works like butta so im pretty stoked about that i threw some beer bottles in the wrist seals this morning how long should i leave them in for i have started sealed all the seals that have come unglued anything i should know? should i do both sides?

swankenstein:
I have the same reg. I bought it 8 years ago for $80 and have used it ever since. I bought a "T" adapter in a dive shop for the low pressure port that let me screw in 2 hoses. As for the drysuit, partially wet is still warmer than a wetsuit.

while repairing the drysuit noticed the guy bought it in '84 is that to old? im going to go do some snorkeling tommorow to see if it leaks couldnt find a dive partner for tommorow so i will check out the dock at porteau. i replaced the beer bottles with wine bottles (all this drinking i think i have a probem lol just kidding) if it doesnt work out could it be used as a wetsuit? i never thought of that as an option. judging by the serial number the regs are from 84 to how does the conshelf work for you is it easy breathing?

ryanmacneil8448:
while repairing the drysuit noticed the guy bought it in '84 is that to old? im going to go do some snorkeling tommorow to see if it leaks couldnt find a dive partner for tommorow so i will check out the dock at porteau. i replaced the beer bottles with wine bottles (all this drinking i think i have a probem lol just kidding) if it doesnt work out could it be used as a wetsuit? i never thought of that as an option. judging by the serial number the regs are from 84 to how does the conshelf work for you is it easy breathing?
84 is pretty old. I doubt you'll ever get it to stay completely dry (even brand new zippers often leak a bit). I've used an old neoprene Brooks seal suit as a "wetsuit" (no inflator hose) once or twice. People warn about "squeeze" - when the pressure crushes it against your body. I didn't feel any more uncomfortable than in a wetsuit, but there were a few red marks when I took it off. I'd hook up the drysuit hose anyways even if the suit leaks so you can equalise the pressure. Keep in mind the drysuit is usually slightly thinner than a wetsuit (especially if it's been "crushed" over time) and it's only one layer so I doubt you'll be much warmer using a leaky drysuit without a hose compared to a wetsuit. As for the reg, it's the best breathing reg I've ever used although all the other ones I've used were rentals. When comparing most regs, the way the person overhauling it "tuned" (adjusted) it probably has more to do with ease of breathing than the type of reg itself. Two identical regs can feel completely different when you breathe through them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom