Is it worth a drive from NY to FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My idea, do the springs one or two days,then at the second day if weather is ok do a SE Florida road trip The PalmBeach area rocks,if the weather is going to be bad stay at the springs,They are great and realy work if weather is bad, but do grow old after you dive them a few times!
But nothing like a boat trip to that warm GulfStream water!and the reefs!
My 2 cents!
Brad

darcy:
A girlfriend of mine's parents drove from Northern New York to Panama City Beach, FL last Friday said it took them 21 hours straight through. They said next time they'll stop over a night. I might not argue!

This time issue has a lot to do with I-85. 95 is relatively traffic free, but 85 has horrible traffic and a lot of delays between Richmond and Atlanta. Plus, if you hit Atlanta at rush hour (This is 6-10am or 3 to 7pm, literally), you will lose 1-2 hours right there on 2 days of the week. If you hit it near the peak of rush hour either way, and I would stop for a meal or a nap. I averaged 8.5 hours for the 512 miles from Richmond to Norcross (before the afternoon traffic area for Atlanta) for an average speed of 60mph, vs 10.5 hours for 675 miles Richmond to Gainesville (including 1.5 hours of non interstate driving!) for an average speed of 65mph. I put 35,000 miles on a car in 18 months while living in Richmond <3 miles from work. The miles other than to work were travelling to see my wife and pets in Atlanta and family in Gainesville, so you can see I had a lot of experience with both routes!

gerardnealon:
Hey guy/gals, I was thinking about taking a drive down from NY and spend a few days diving in your Florida Springs. I have never dove in florida at all. The only springs I have seen on the boards are Ginnie and Morrison springs. My fiance and I are not certified cave or cavern divers. I was wondering, do you think it is worth diving these locations without being able to penetrate the caves?? If so, what would be the best spring to check out, and how many dives/days are enough to get a good feel for the place. I dont want to take a trip down to florida for something that is not really fun for non cave divers. Thanks for you time.

I can tell you that if you drive all the way to Florida and only dive in springs youll be wasting your time! Drive a little further to FtLauderdale and get a room there and go to Anglin Pier there is the best beach dive in florida. the water is shallow 15-20 ft and its a short swim 100 yrds from shore to the reef. The reef surrounds a Pier and theres Millions of tropicals and stuff to see even cannons from a ship that sank in 1715.
the room will cost you 75.00 per night average and youll be close to the keys. check out www.pennekamppark.com and they will take you to the most beautiful reefs in florida including CHRIST OF THE ABYSS the statue of jesus. every diver should see it!
Beach diving is inexspensive and its easy once you get the hang of it! there are 100s of beach dives and Im sure youll enjoy them more than the boring springs!
p.s. directions to Anglin Pier are easy take I-95 south to Commercial Blvd exit 34, I believe and go east from there you cant miss it because it dead ends at the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom