Is it true that DCS can happen to anyone, regardless of prevention?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spanocha

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just received my certification (yeah!) so I've been reading a lot about diving.

When I came across the fact that DCS can occur regardless of prevention, it bugged me out a little. To top it all off, the symptoms seem to be a bit ambiguous (lacking any clear-cut delineation).

How would I be able to tell a muscle ache from a nitrogen bubble flare-up?

If DCS can occur regardless, how do you dive without any day-after DCS "paranoia"?

I remember at university, everyone who took parasitology lost a lot of weight and was convinced, every week, that they had a new and deadly parasite.

Relax, stay well within the tables, if you are really concerned, have an echo-cardiogram to make sure that there is no shunting.

Diving within safety limits minimizes the risks.
But it is kind of like getting hit by lightning, Even with all the risk factors considered there is a slim chance that you'll take a hit.

Diving within safety limits minimizes the risks.
But it is kind of like getting hit by lightning, Even with all the risk factors considered there is a slim chance that you'll take a hit.

Now, is it the type of risk like, say, everytime I drive my car I could get in an accident? So I guess there is always the (slim) possibility that my brakes could go out.

Without broaching any specific numbers, it's always seemed like with recreational dive profiles and safety stops, the odds between the two are comparable; in short, you're incredibly unlikely to suffer a DCS hit. I think everyone tends to worry about it when they start diving.

Initial Reported or Observed Problem of Divers Brought to the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber (1995 - 2000):

No Problems Noted: approx. 10% occurrence
Buoyancy Problem: 12%
Air Supply Problem: 11%
Buddy Problems: 10%

Decompression Problem: 6%
Equalizing Problem: 6%
Pain: 6%
Uncomfortable: 5%
Environmental Problem: 4%
Equipment Problem: 3%
Medical Problem: 3%
Regulator Problem: 3%
Rapid Ascent: 2%
Fatigue: 2%
Rebreather Problem: 2%
Mask Problem: 2%
Aspiration (water): 1%
Panic: 1%

So make sure you've got good control of your buoyancy, together with gas management and planning, and sound buddy awareness & practice skills. . .

One diagnostic can help you tell if that vague post-dive ache is due to a "muscle strain" or onset of DCS symptoms: back on the surface, breath pure oxygen. If the pain is alleviated somewhat, then it's probably DCS related --if not then it may just be a muscle strain. In either case I would still elect to go the Hyperbaric Chamber and get a Physcians' evaluation, diagnoses & treatment if needed. . .

It's a crap shoot isn't it.......stay hydrated, use your tables/computer carefully and keep your toes & fingers crossed.........good luck on your future diving, you'll be fine........

I just received my certification (yeah!) so I've been reading a lot about diving.

When I came across the fact that DCS can occur regardless of prevention, it bugged me out a little. To top it all off, the symptoms seem to be a bit ambiguous (lacking any clear-cut delineation).

How would I be able to tell a muscle ache from a nitrogen bubble flare-up?

If DCS can occur regardless, how do you dive without any day-after DCS "paranoia"?

I've been told that DCS will feel different. I have days when I ache (I'm getting old). I've been told that if you get an ache that is 'different' then see a doctor and tell them you've been diving. Lugging 100 lbs of gear around, wading into surf, etc. will make you use muscles you normally don't. Body aches the next day would be normal (if your old or a little out of shape). But if you get an ache in your elbow that moves to your bicep or it comes and goes away, that might be DCS.

I think I've read articles on DAN about this. Try go to DAN and reading some of the articles there.

Also, do you worry about alcohol poisoning? If you are drinking 26 oz in 2 hours, yes. If you are drinking 4 oz in 2 hours NO WAY. What about 17 oz in 2 hours? Then it gets a little iffy.

Are you diving 7 times a day below 60' each time? They worry about DCS. Are you diving 3 times a day with only one deep dive (deep is below 60'), then don't worry about it. Are you diving 5 times a day but half the dives are around 50' or less? Then it is a little iffy.

So far, all the guys I've talked to who have been bent are diving a LOT more than I am right now. If I had a job at a resort and was diving 5 times a day I'd worry about it and make sure I'm not drinking diuretics/alcohol, I'm well hydrated, I get the suggested surface intervals, I don't do it 52 weeks a year, etc.

Also, get your Advanced Open Water. Part of it will be deep diving. Any good course will cover the risk factors and you can work at reducing as many as you can. If you are overweight, dive more and lose weight :D . Make sure you are well hydrated. Don't go on a drinking binge the night before you plan on diving.

Also, do you worry about alcohol poisoning? If you are drinking 26 oz in 2 hours, yes. If you are drinking 4 oz in 2 hours NO WAY. What about 17 oz in 2 hours? Then it gets a little iffy.

Are you diving 7 times a day below 60' each time? They worry about DCS. Are you diving 3 times a day with only one deep dive (deep is below 60'), then don't worry about it. Are you diving 5 times a day but half the dives are around 50' or less? Then it is a little iffy.

That seems to be a quality analogy.

So make sure you've got good control of your buoyancy, together with gas management and planning, and sound buddy awareness & practice skills. . .

One diagnostic can help you tell if that vague post-dive ache is due to a "muscle strain" or onset of DCS symptoms: back on the surface, breath pure oxygen. If the pain is alleviated somewhat, then it's probably DCS related --if not then it may just be a muscle strain. In either case I would still elect to go the Hyperbaric Chamber and get a Physcians' evaluation, diagnoses & treatment if needed. . .

I did not completely understand the chart you posted. Some of the items seem to be "reasons" why someone suffered DCS (i.e. regulator trouble, or buddy problem) and the other items seem to reflect the exhibited "symptoms" of DCS.

At any rate, although it is helpful to know that the pure oxygen will (temporarily) alleviate DCS pain, it does not seem entirely practical. It seems like that is what ER doctors would do to possibly rule out DCS. I don't have an oxygen tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom