Is it too late to be a DM/Instructor at the age of 43 and find work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miguelbuk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to take the DM/Instructor cources this year and I wanted to find work as a DM or Instructor...
Being 43, is it too late to even think about a "career" in diving? I can go anywhere, so location would never be a problem, and I can speak several languagues. Will I be wasting my money on an impossible dream?
Thanks

I think it is all in your attitude. If you are personable, you should be able to do it.

The biggest thing going for you is the multiple languages, that is very valuable.

I've heard more than one experienced instructor/DM comment that new - typically younger - DMs don't seem realize that it is a LOT OF WORK. The new guys get annoyed about having to be up early and working late 7 days a week during high season, and not getting much time for their own diving (that is, without tourists or a class). And if you're in a location that has a "low season", there's the question of paying the rent when the client / DM ratio drops below 1.0 Apparently many freshly minted DMs don't return after one high season. But loads of people seem to love it as a lifestyle, and there are places with a very low cost of living once you actually move there. I suppose it depends on having a realistic attitude about work (and possibly some savings or second set of skills to get through the lean times). Good luck and best wishes!

A part of me would love to take that plunge, but with my age, lack of experience, and generally nasty disposition, Capt. Wookie refused to sign me onto his crew :wink:

And I agree - multiple languages would be a huge advantage at many dive destinations.

your age related maturity (assuming you have it) can be a very attractive asset. The languages are a serious plus too. If you have the work ethic, you likely have a future...

As per another thread on this board right now you will find that some places will discriminate against you for your age but that is by no means going to be the case everywhere. I work in Grand Cayman and notice that the average age of dive pro's here is higher, maybe because the average age of divers here is higher. Several of my colleagues are in the forties, most in their thirties with a couple in their twenties but in my experience this is not so normal.

Languages are very useful depending on what they are are other transferable skills from previous employment is usually valid too.

A DM cert won't really get you paid work and as an instructor, your job description will vary from diver centre to dive centre.

To answer your question, I would say go for it if you want it. It is hard work and getting the first gig is tough but by no means impossible. There are plenty of other people out there doing it.

Helps to have multiple qualifications so a resort can use you as a "two-fer." (e.g. EMT, Captain's Licence, etc.)

The biggest thing going for you is the multiple languages, that is very valuable.

About 100 years ago, I was hired by a well-known dive operation in Lucaya. As I recall the discussion, it wasn't because I had a shiny NAUI Instructor's card, it was because of the little things: I had completed compressor maintenance training, and high-pressure air systems training. I held multiple "silly" certificates that all said that I could do more than just teach diving. At that time, I could hold my own in a French conversation as well. And I had retail dive shop experience...

My point is that there are lots of Instructors around. Most are 20-something, many will be utterly unreliable, transient types. You, on the other hand, bring maturity, life experience and perhaps some of the other "silly" stuff. And fathers might not be quite so afraid to leave their teenaged daughters in your care!

All of this other stuff can really help when applying for work visas as well... it makes you "unique"...

Just make sure your fitness level and health are suitable for a potentially demanding job.

While I am a retired Instructor, I maintain my sustaining status... just in case!

Good luck!

Being 43, is it too late to even think about a "career" in diving?

As long as you don't want to work in Antigua you should be ok.

:d

I'm going on 53 and plan to start a DM program this summer. I don't see it as a new career, mainly because there's no real money involved other than an occasional tip. I would only work as a DM in my local area, not overseas where I will just want to be on vacation. However, I do hope being a DM will help support my diving habit, and allow me to deduct some of my diving expenses for tax purposes.

Back
Top Bottom