Is it saftey for using the canon housing WP-DC8 and WPDC6?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hk_sleepy

Registered
Reaction score
I want to change my old underwater camera (Oly C5050) becuase it is run slowly and difficult to foucus when the fish or nudibrach is moving (compare with the Canon camera of my buddy). So I want to change the camera.
Canon A640, A710 or A630 seen quite good and they are my budget. But I heard many hong kong divers said that the canon housing is unsafe, it easy to flood the camera especially the housing WP-DC8.:huh: Because this housing has many screw over the len position. Is it true? Is there any diver have use the canon housing and any comment for the canon housing? Due to canon housing is cheaper. So I hope I will buy the orginal canon housing if I buy the canon camera. So I want to know is the canon housing is safe or not:confused: especially for the housing WP-DC 8. Is there any user have use the above housing or camera? How about your comment after using these housing and camera?
On the other hand, is there any suggestion for the camera A640 and A710?

Heya, I'm using a Canon Wp-DC9. I'm thinking it's around the same thing. You'll notice that in this board, many people flood their cameras due to negligence or carelessness. If you're faithful in maintaining ur gear, and preparing it for dives, you should be fine, and also, take up insurance for your camera!

btw, are there any nice divesites in HK? I might visit soon!

I've been using the Canon housings for many years for my Canon A series cameras. Never a problem. Love them; think they are great.

The vast majority of floods are user error, so taking the time to make sure your o-rings and grooves are clean and that everything is sealed properly will go a long way to reducing your chances of a flood. Even those floods that one may not be able to see an immediate cause for are usually user error.

Either of the models you list are going to work just fine.

I personally wouldn't give up my Oly 5050 as it has a superb lens and the ability to write RAW, but the new Canons are definitely faster and they do produce lovely results. You might want to consider adding an aiming light to your current set up if the write times don't bother you - it will make the camera focus faster. I never did have an aiming light and didn't have troubles, so not sure what else to suggest.

If you're selling, drop me a PM - I might know some one who is interested in the 5050/housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom