Is it really a good deal and don’t buy used especially when new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two things:

1. If it doesn't have the blue H, you didn't pay enough
2. Regardless of whether you're diving a BP/W or or a BCD, you don't want all kinds of stuff dangling off you. If you go BP/W, talk to someone about DIR setup. If everything's clipped off properly, it won't be all dangly.
1. There is cheaper and suitable alternative. Over priced and over rated.
2. Really?

The title is " especially when new to diving', My thought are, if you are new, buy new, especially regulators, a new wetsuit or dry suit , the new ones around now are fantastic [who wants a smelly and sometimes, stiff old one? ], I suspect you were required to have a mask, fins, and boots [or socks] before you started the course.
And we need to keep the local dive shops, suppliers and the Australian [and for us both, Queensland] dive industry solvent.
Up North Qld. Some dive operations are "going under" [no pun] due to the lack of overseas tourists, gear sales are also down , support the dive industry any way you can, please.
I look at wetsuits the same as underwear, only new for me. Gear though is gear. Regulators are fairly simple (I know they're not) and they haven't changed too much in the last several years. A used one that has been serviced is pretty much as good as new one. My first tanks were at least 30 years old when I bought them, but they're all brand new now but only because the type I wanted aren't often available used.

Financially, SO MANY new divers won't dive very long. And so many are put off the sport due to the cost of the gear. I was getting fills yesterday and looking at the gear packages at the dive shop. $4k for a bc, reg, mask etc. That's IMO an insane amount of money to ask of someone who may or may not continue on in the sport.

The other alternative is renting, which is seriously used gear that has been in a hundred different mouths. And since that gear is USED, but ok by some arguments, there is no argument against buying your own used gear and having it serviced. As long as you buy something semi-modern there is no issue getting parts to rebuild it to like new specs if you really got a POS. You'll at least then be ready to roll and never again have to rent. And if you give up the sport you'll probably break even on selling it vs taking a loss.

Although I really enjoy buying almost new gear for pennies after they give up so maybe I should be taking the other side of the argument... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom