Is it really a good deal and don’t buy used especially when new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Happyladydiver: I don't know what the rental BCDs are like in Australia, but in the U.S. they tend to rent the ScubaPro Hydros or a lower-end brand, and I've never had a rental that was a women's BCD. Something that worked for me was to simulate what I would be wearing under the BCD. I walked in wearing a thin material-type shirt to simulate a dive skin and brought my 3 mil wetsuit jacket, then tried on the BCD. The shop owner spent a lot of time getting me fitted and adjusting straps. The thing with dive equipment is that you can't return it once it gets wet except for defects, so your best option is to get the right fit in the shop.

There's a section on SB called Women's Perspectives, and you might find useful info there, too. Great group of gals on that forum.:)

I
A steel plate and a couple of these: DGX Trim Weight Pocket on the top camband work for my regular diving. These Dive Rite Quick Release (QR) Weight System {12 lb | 5.4 kg} will fit on the waist strap. Bigger ones are available too, if you need more lead (but then you might need more waist circumference to fit them there).

BP&W's main selling point is modularity which means more junk to haul around in separate pieces -- as opposed to having it all sewn together in one complete thing. You might want to look for a "minimalist" back-inflate like AL Outlaw or SP Litehawk on sale: you'd get both the open front and everything integrated in one complete package. (Edit: Zuma too.)

That outlaw does look pretty cool. Very light too. Less than
@Happyladydiver: I don't know what the rental BCDs are like in Australia, but in the U.S. they tend to rent the ScubaPro Hydros or a lower-end brand, and I've never had a rental that was a women's BCD. Something that worked for me was to simulate what I would be wearing under the BCD. I walked in wearing a thin material-type shirt to simulate a dive skin and brought my 3 mil wetsuit jacket, then tried on the BCD. The shop owner spent a lot of time getting me fitted and adjusting straps. The thing with dive equipment is that you can't return it once it gets wet except for defects, so your best option is to get the right fit in the shop.

There's a section on SB called Women's Perspectives, and you might find useful info there, too. Great group of gals on that forum.:)

I’ll look at that section. Yeah I used a Beuchat on training which was ok but then hated the one I did another dive with as it needed a weight belt.

I don’t think nearly anything new could be as bad as renting and I stand by that.

Another thing I realised too for ME personally, if I don’t like the rental gear to the point I don’t even do the dive, then that’s the worst thing that could happen in regards to not having my own gear.

For example, right now I’m near to the same place I did my last dive and I wanted to dive again while on this trip but haven’t as I hate their gear. Weight belts. Ick. They didn’t even give me a computer last time even though they knew I needed gear as part of the rental kit!

I’m going to need to try on a bunch at the dive shop and based on the advice here, pick what’s the lightest and has the most features I like and is the most comfortable and that’s just how it’s going to be. I’ll take the loss if I want to change in a few years but what I buy, I’m sure I can handle once a month or so for an indefinite period of time.

Just to interject regarding weight belts--
Harness is good, so I hear. I use pouch belt held up with (dive) suspenders, so no slipping. Not uncomfortable at all.
---Just in case you are in need of a lot of weight in cold water and need both integrated weights and belt.

A steel plate and a couple of these: DGX Trim Weight Pocket on the top camband work for my regular diving. These Dive Rite Quick Release (QR) Weight System {12 lb | 5.4 kg} will fit on the waist strap. Bigger ones are available too, if you need more lead (but then you might need more waist circumference to fit them there).

BP&W's main selling point is modularity which means more junk to haul around in separate pieces -- as opposed to having it all sewn together in one complete thing. You might want to look for a "minimalist" back-inflate like AL Outlaw or SP Litehawk on sale: you'd get both the open front and everything integrated in one complete package. (Edit: Zuma too.)

So I checked out that outlaw and it looks like I’d have to buy the integrated weight pockets separately which adds several hundred more dollars ? I really want to stay under $700.

I keep looking for a purple wing or BC in mens..... no luck so far.
You can get Some Zeagle BCs in custom colors. They have one called Grape. Looking at the customizer, it looks like the bladder would still be black, but everything else can be colored.

You can get Some Zeagle BCs in custom colors. They have one called Grape. Looking at the customizer, it looks like the bladder would still be black, but everything else can be colored.

Just the wing is what I want

Back
Top Bottom