Is it practical to carry-on "full" set of gear? What bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If airline staff questions you, the problem would be weight. Make sure you go to the gym before your trip, so it doesn't look like a struggle when you hoist your "overweight" bag into the overhead. Many airlines limit carry-ons to 40lbs or less, especially less if on a turbo prop.

mstevens:
I've only ever dived where I can drive or rented at my destination. I'm no longer willing to use rental gear, so will be travelling to Cozumel in about 3 weeks with my own. I'm quite leery of checking through anything I can't live without so I'd prefer to carry on the most important gear. That means a Zeagle Stiletto BC, regulator without gauges (I have an Aeris Atmos Elite, so "worst case" I could wear that on my wrist and look like a dork), and M/F/S (at a mnimum the mask, since it was hard for me to find a good fit). I don't have a problem checking through exposure gear, lights, or other easily-rented or replaced items (so I suppose that includes the snorkel). I'll definitely have check-through luggage either way, so there's no goal of avoiding that entirely.

Is it practical for me to try to carry this on? I don't currently have a bag that will accommodate my stuff that I think will be allowed as carry-on, but I'm willing to buy one. I have travelled with a full set of snorkel gear in an Akona snorkel bag since my destination was unlikely to have fins, but packed the fins in check-through on the way back. Based on this experience, the fins (Tusa X-pert Zoom XL)seem likely to be the biggest issue with getting all my gear in the overhead bin.

A rolling bag would be great, since I've got to carry another bag with medical equipment (which doesn't count against my carry-on allowance but does make it more of a pack mule experience when I tote other things), but not mandatory. As far as I can tell, the cool-looking Stahlsac, Armor, and Akona rolling bags either are too big for carry-on or don't seem intended for scuba gear as much as socks and underwear. I could be wrong.

What do people use as a rolling carry-on for a full (or nearly full) tropical gear kit?

Zeagle has those new Teloz (SP?) fins out that could possibly make fitting you gear into a carry on. It all comes down to the size of you BC. In my case I have a zeagle Ranger and that thing would practicly take up a whole carry on, but if you have something smaller it is quite feasible. I can remember in an old issue of rodales they did an article on travel dive gear. They were able to fit a whole set of gear in a 16" by 20" by 4.5" bag. You just need the right gear.
Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom