Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been some studies suggesting those with Type O blood are actually at less risk for COVID

Interesting links, thanks for posting.

There have been confirmed links in the susceptibility to certain diseases related to ABO blood types in the past. However the second link also mentions the Rh Blood Group system which is completely unrelated to the ABO. Time will tell I suppose when more retrospective studies are done.

For the record I'm A Rh(D) Negative :D

will it affect your travel now that you need a negative test to return to the states?

No.

In February trip, we’ll be staying in Ramon’s Village resort in Ambergris Caye, Belize. Three days before our home departure, the resort will bring a medical professional to give us antigen test for $50/swab.

In March trip, I add a day after disembarking a Emperor Leo in Maldives for getting antigen test and a second test in case of I get false positive on the first one.

In May trip, our group would stay in hotel 2-3 days after disembarking Nautilus Belle Amie for similar situation. Although Nautilus would test us before and after boarding the boat for free.

One spot available in Nautilus Belle Amie May 11-19, 2021 $400 off

"Travel" is a very broad term. Living in Southwest FL I "travel" to Southeast FL once or twice a month to dive. I travel by car and I'm always masked when in public as well as maintaining social distancing. When I stay in a hotel I wipe my room down thoroughly upon arrival, forgo housekeeping, bring my own pillow, and forgo the elevator and use the stairs. I also bring everything with me or get takeout food. The dive boats are all open air, and most are limiting capacity and encouraging masks. Those are the operators I dive with whenever possible. So I feel comfortable and responsible with this type of "travel". I feel the risk vs. staying at home to be low.

To contrast this with flying across the world to dive a high-risk liveaboard for a week packed in with dozens of others. That also is "travel" to dive but I find that foolish and irresponsible (my opinion) and I would never consider it.

My personal take. Nothing in life is without risk. But my “travel” will not impact anyone else here. I am confident of that. I am also fairly confident that I can successfully avoid taking anything with me. Admittedly my circumstances are a bit atypical. Outside of work I have near zero exposure. My husband’s only risk is me. I know the correct use of ppe, how the virus spreads and how important it is to avoid touching the face. It was tough training myself not to do this mostly unconscious act. If you don’t give the virus access it can not infect and yes, I know how to mitigate the risk.

My husband and I are both naturally social distancers (yes I know it’s not a real word). Introverts. Even before the pandemic we were not big into social activities and rarely ate out. In this way, adapting to covid changes has not been a big deal to us.

Yes, the plane is a concern as is the Florida dive boat. Those will be our two higher risk points.

No, it's not safe to travel yet. Especially when there are so many people who won't wear masks. There are even people who travel when they know they have symptoms. Too much risk for me.
This caution is even more important now that there are mutant strains that are much more contagious and possibly more lethal.

I can’t imagine why anyone is traveling internationally right now and risking the chance of a quarantine when they return to their home country. Travel in your own country. DRIVE. You have a lot more control when you drive.

I have been to Mexico & Costa Rica during this pandemic situation. I feel more safe there than at home. They’re too many mask deniers here, like people wearing masks on their chins in grocery stores. I don’t see such behavior when I was overseas.

So far, after returning from overseas and having 2 weeks of self quarantine and socializing again normally with family and closed friends. None of us have contracted the virus.

Just follow the CDC protocols. Wear that N95 mask, not the bandana that I see people doing here as soon as the grocery gate keeper offering masks to them, they waive away and pull up the bandanas to their mouth, so the gate keeper can let them in.

Bandana is actually worse when you are talking through it. It’ll dispense your spits into smaller droplets and make them flying out further and suspended in the air longer.

I will not be traveling at all this year. Even if I do manage to get the vaccine in a reasonable time frame. Pisses me off because I wanted to get back to Canada and maybe NYC this year. But because of the ignorance and utter selfish disregard for others that some have, it's just not worth the risk for me and those I care about.
I'm going to start teaching again but only on a one to one basis or two to one if they reside in the same house.
Checkouts can be done locally safely where we do them and the location takes every precaution they can. Others don't seem to give a rat's butt and not only will I not be using them this year, but seeing how they behave with this, I won't be using them ever again. Unless management/ownership changes.
We won't even drive an hour to go to my GF's parents unless it's warm enough to sit outside.
I will be getting out as much as possible to bike ride, shoot photos, and hike but that will be different because those are solo activities for me mostly.
I miss the Ren Fests badly but, if ours does happen later this year, I'll have to see how they are handling crowds before I go.
I have a friend who is on the local federal Disaster Management and Assistance Team and she gets better reports than what we see in the media. She is not expecting things to get much better til fall 2021.
Then we see all these super spreader events going on like the scenes coming out of Florida for some sports team that won something.

Pisses me off because I wanted to get back to Canada and maybe NYC this year. But because of the ignorance and utter selfish disregard for others that some have, it's just not worth the risk for me and those I care about.

This is where things start to go off the rails.

We are all impacted by this, and we all play a role. If your definition of "some" includes Governments, Employers/Corporations, in addition to individuals, then I am in agreement. If your definition is only focusing judgement on individuals that choose to do something 100% legal and allowed, then you are part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom