Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The New York app validates the information on the handwritten card against state records when it downloads the certificate.

We need a single standard across the US. Even driver’s licences need Real ID to be used at airports. This too needs to be a Federally Mandated standard. (Like Real ID).

We need a single standard across the US. Even driver’s licences need Real ID to be used at airports. This too needs to be a Federally Mandated standard. (Like Real ID).
Probably a good idea, but it's hard to see how it could be implemented, given how the topic has been politicized. It wasn't that long ago that the right was adamantly fighting the idea of Real ID.

Probably a good idea, but it's hard to see how it could be implemented, given how the topic has been politicized. It wasn't that long ago that the right was adamantly fighting the idea of Real ID.

Hard to see how this works otherwise. Some states will refuse to comply. Will people who live there be unable to travel? Like you say, very complicated. Complex problem in a divided country.

I thought the whole Real ID thing was a conservative thing, to remove freedom of travel from those States that allow everyone to get a driver's license, regardless of citizenship status, like California. Did they forget?

Yes. They did. Because it affects them adversely.

This is the issue that has been bothered me since 2002 for travelling as I have no control of the others! Personal hygiene is most important especially on public transport, airport and bus/ferry terminal. Sanitation pack and mask in my day pack.
And I might have to consider wearing mask from now on in those mentioned places. What have I got to lose?

Good luck Canada

Thank you Centrals,

To answer your question, just our lives.

I just read about a 40 year old woman, in Ontario, brought into the ICU, initially seven doctors were working on her, seven turned to twelve, it was not enough to save her life.

I'm reading as well as hearing on the news, that whole families are being brought in suffering from the virus, and the whole family is being lost.

I serve the population in a very busy profession, so I have no time to worry whether or not I can ''dive tomorrow''.

I would like to dive today, I'm home for the long weekend, the Vancouver Island weather is beautiful. If I never dive again, it is no great loss, as there are so many things which are so much more important.

Including service/maintenance contractors and full time staff, I have well over 40 people that depend on me for their livelihood, that's more important.

Like everything else, this will pass, in the meantime, we have to be vigilant, and give the fox no chance to enter the hen-coop.

Myself and all my staff have had ''first shots'' with second vaccinations coming on various dates in July. Hopefully once everyone has been completely vaccinated we ''just may'' see a turn for the better, ''just may'' be the operative phrase.

All the very best,

Rose.

Is this what we (well, some of us) have been waiting for?

COVID-19 and Your Health

Fully vaccinated travelers are less likely to get and spread COVID-19. However, international travel poses additional risks and even fully vaccinated travelers are at increased risk for getting and possibly spreading new COVID-19 variants.

CDC recommends delaying international travel until you are fully vaccinated.

This is a change from the CDC's blanket dictum along the lines of "avoid non-essential travel."

I haven't traveled by air in over a year. And once the vaccines started rolling out, we were cautioned that the scientific community was still mulling over the possibility that even vaccinated travelers could transmit the virus asymptomatically to unvaccinated people at their destinations. But now it looks like the CDC has concluded the risk of that is low, and even lower assuming you continue to wear a mask around others whom you don't know are vaccinated. However, all bets are off if you travel to an area where possibly vaccine-resistant variants have become prevalent. Am I interpreting this correctly?

I haven't been paying much attention to the conversations here for the past couple of days and enjoyed my weekend mostly Internet-free. Now I find that on the same day (Friday April 2) that the CDC posted the updated guidance I got so optimistic about, at the related press briefing Dr. Walensky made these comments:

QUESTION: Dr. Walensky, I believe you just said that the CDC is not recommending nonessential travel, even for vaccinated people. Another — Andy Slavitt tweeted something similar. The written report doesn’t say that. Can you just clarify: Are you — should fully vaccinated people be doing nonessential travel or not? ....

DR. WALENSKY: Yeah. So I would say, generally, we know that travel was up for the month of March, more so than it had been since the beginning of this pandemic. We know that right now we have a surging number of cases. I would advocate against general travel overall.

Our guidance is silent on recommending or not recommending fully vaccinated people travel. Our guidance speaks to the safety of doing so. If you’re al- — if you are vaccinated, it is lower risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom