Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have perused all of the responses, and wonder if I'm the only one in this forum that has already had Covid. I'm pissed I'm not able to travel internationally more after having it (and now having decent immunity). I think I should have a six month Get Out of Jail Free card for travel.
You do get a three month pass, if you get it now. I got nothing for my vaccinations.

You do get a three month pass, if you get it now. I got nothing for my vaccinations.

From being tested to come back from international travel? I haven't read anything about freedom of travel having already had it.

Once again, you are missing the point. It is NOT just about the death rate. Jeez.
Ok well every single time I turn on the tv or radio, the only statistic that I see being focused on is the death rate. I don’t see or hear anybody tracking the “ I don’t feel well for three weeks” rate. Don’t know how to articulate that any other way.

Ok well every single time I turn on the tv or radio, the only statistic that I see being focused on is the death rate. I don’t see or hear anybody tracking the “ I don’t feel well for three weeks” rate. Don’t know how to articulate that any other way.

Or the rate of COVID-19 "longhauler" issues

From being tested to come back from international travel? I haven't read anything about freedom of travel having already had it.
Yes. Not required to provide a negative covid test for reentry to the US.

From the CDC...

“If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).”

Yes. Not required to provide a negative covid test for reentry to the US.

From the CDC...

“If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).”

A negative test is not the same as a free pass with a previous positive test. I don't know about you, but getting my brain tickled for a third time is not my idea of fun.

Thinking about it, it would be a third and fourth time, as I probably need outgoing and incoming tests.

Okay, here's a question. I've never been to Indonesia. Reading content by some who have, it's my understanding it's about a 3 - 4 day multi-flight trek to get there (from the U.S.). So, let's take a sample itinerary using return flights Dan mentioned in his Jan. 2020 Raja Ampat report:

Day 11.) Did morning diving, then sailed southward to Sorong.
Day 12.) Flew to Jakarta (4 hours).
Flew to Taipai (5 1/2 hours).
Flew to Houston (13.5 hours - but on the way down, Houston, TX (?) to Taipai was 16 1/2 hours!).

I'm guessing the boat brings you back one morning, you fly from Sorong to Jakarta that day, and an overnight stay at a hotel will at least happen between Jakarta and Taipai or Taipai and Houston, maybe both? On his trip down, I think it was Day 4 before he was on the boat.

So, when and where do you get the COVID-19 test? On your live-aboard boat? Good luck with that. In Sorong? Or is it before you board an international flight? So, get tested before boarding in Jakarta, or Taipai?

Do we now need to factor in airport COVID-19 testing and layovers long enough for test results to come back? How long of a layover do you need in Taipai before boarding the flight to Houston?

In this case, we'll need to know which airports offer COVID-19 testing. And if the U.S. demands a PCR (rather than just rapid antigen) test by the time you travel...oh, crap.

There has been some mention in the news about freedom to travel after vaccination but access to vaccination is not there yet to allow this to happen.

I don't think it's a good idea to travel for leisure until after you have been vaccinated.

Duration of immunity after having COVID is unknown at this point. I have seen several patients at work that have had COVID twice within 1 month (testing negative and having no symptoms between positive tests with having symptoms). Immunity may only last 1 month or last 6 months, we just don't know and it may vary for each individual.

A negative test is not the same as a free pass with a previous positive test. I don't know about you, but getting my brain tickled for a third time is not my idea of fun.

Thinking about it, it would be a third and fourth time, as I probably need outgoing and incoming tests.
Not following this. If you tested positive and have a letter releasing you to travel, you will not need any additional testing for 3 months from the date of infection. Repeat covid testing within 90 days of infection is not recommended (see next post)

There has been some mention in the news about freedom to travel after vaccination but access to vaccination is not there yet to allow this to happen.

I don't think it's a good idea to travel for leisure until after you have been vaccinated.

Duration of immunity after having COVID is unknown at this point. I have seen several patients at work that have had COVID twice within 1 month (testing negative and having no symptoms between positive tests with having symptoms). Immunity may only last 1 month or last 6 months, we just don't know and it may vary for each individual.
This is controversial. Most now feel that this is more likely residual symptoms of the original illness. It is not too unusual for covid symptoms to wax and wane for some time post infection. Retesting after infection is no longer recommended for at least 90 days since an individual can continue to test positive for weeks to months after infection. And may even test positive after a negative test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom