Is it possible to dive Indonesia on a budget? What are your recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you ever want to dive Komodo on a liveaboard on a budget but don't want spend a lot, Mastro Aldo (Komodo Dive Center) is an excellent value liveaboard with AC in every room and private bathrooms. Though the private bathrooms may not be en-suite, they are yours and only yours. The food is good and it is a ratio of 4 divers to 1 DM sorted out (as expected) by experience or your preference if you are in a group of friends. You can do half a week ($850) or a full week. I can't remember how much the full week is but it's a solid 4 and I think maybe 5 dives a day. I'll have to look back on my log to confirm.

Based on a couple of trips to Indo and planning for Philippines, I've found that Philippines diving is cheaper on a per-tank basis from day boats. I've dived Bahamas and Cozumel and my desire to return to those areas are quite fizzled now that I've discovered the awesomeness of Indonesia (Komodo and Raja Ampat). Check out some pictures of the colorful coral that @Dan_T already mentioned to you at www.instagram.com/outofofficebrb

Many great recommendations here.

I would only add to be very cautious about diving with a "one-off" type of place, a guy (maybe in a remote area) with a boat that just bought a compressor. You want good air obviously, and add to that, that in the high-current / unpredictable currents we often get, you also want someone with knowledge about local conditions, both topside and underwater.

Remember we are in a developing country, many people are looking to make a dollar off of tourists, but standards for safety can vary and enforcement is (I daresay) non-existent.

- Bill

Speaking of diving on Lombok, I plan to head there in mid Jan-mid Feb (anyone looking for a buddy?). Is it possible to dive the Magnet in Belongas Bay at this time?

Just back from my second trip this year to Lembongan. I stayed in a single room with Two Fish and did 10 days diving (I unfortunately was sick and missed 5 or 6 diving days). Diving was about $70 for a two tank dive and my room was about $40. Yes, there is trash in the water and along the shore (also a problem in Bunaken). There is simply no good way to dispose of all the trash. I think this was my favorite trip of my four trips there. There were tons of nudibranchs as well as always mantas at Manta Point. Fewer at Manta Bay, but I think every dive at either were mantas. Two days we saw a pod of at least 10 dolphins swimming near the boat as we headed to Manta Bay/Point. There are two new managers at Two Fish who are absolutely terrific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom