Is it possible for type 1 DCS to manifest into type 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Payton#1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I went diving in Roatan about a month ago, after one of my deep dives (100 ft wreck dive) I noticed joint pain. I tried to ignore it and blame it on anxiety. In the last month i flew 4 times and only on the last flight I had tingling in my hand which I think is due to me sleeping in a weird position. A whole month later my joint pain is starting to resolve but I have been feeling some slight ear, head, and chest pains. I am aware that type 2 DCS would present soon after the dive but I am curious to if type 1 symptoms are able to develop into type 2 symptoms this far out? I have a couple flights coming up next week and am looking for advice to if I’m being totally irrational or if I should see a doctor before I fly.

For the most part, they've stopped using the terms, Type 1 or 2. Too many cases have multiple symptoms.

The next couple of times you fly, you should claim at checkin, while boarding and during the flight that you suffer from emphysema and require supplemental Oxygen. It'll make the flight much more comfortable for you and whatever residual symptoms you have.

Michael

The next couple of times you fly, you should claim at checkin, while boarding and during the flight that you suffer from emphysema and require supplemental Oxygen. It'll make the flight much more comfortable for you and whatever residual symptoms you have.

Michael
While Michaels tongue was probably firmly "tongue-in-cheek", this reply gives me an excuse to remind us all why we initially treat DCS with an oxygen mask and a demand regulator, while awaiting evacuation.
The purpose of oxygen is only minimally related to the value of the oxygen itself. Yes, if you're headed toward life-threatening symptoms, perhaps with respiratory compromise, then oxygen itself can be life saving.
But for DCS, the primary purpose of an oxygen mask from the green box is not the oxygen, but the mask. By using a tight fitting mask with a demand valve supplying 100% oxygen, we are more precisely supplying 0% Nitrogen.
Increasing the gradient between the ppN2 in your bent tissues and the ambient breathing mix increases the speed of offgassing, and may shrink bubbles.

For the record, an airline mask does almost nothing in this regard. Just so you know Michael was teasing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom