Is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In order to learn to dive you should be comfortable in the water. I've never met a non-swimmer who is comfortable in the water.

Thal is right here--and comfort in the water isn't just in the "best of times." It matters SO much more when thing are going badly because of choppy water, a leg cramp, a mask flood or lost fin. It matters when your buddy is having a problem, and you need to keep calm and get to him quickly.

I'm far from the world's best diver, but I'm very comfortable in the water, and it's a great asset for me. I feel like any diver who couldn't swim well would be putting himself/herself at a tremendous disadvantage in the best of circumstances, and possibly bear the burden of another diver's death in the worst.

If this isn't enough, just imagine the SAC of a diver who can't swim....how far will they make it???

(That being said, this is a sock-puppet)

Swimming is like riding a bike...it's just something all kids should learn to do, it's a right of passage.

As a four-year old, I learned to swim under water first, recovering quarters my dad threw into the deep end of the pool! I actually didn't learn to swim on the surface (other than popping up briefly for a breath) until a few years later!

But truly, you should be comfortable in the water and a reasonable swimmer before pursuing ANY activity that significantly involves water.

Cheers,

Forgive me if this was already covered but I didn't read through all the pages. I do not believe that anyone can automatically say no... Questions must be asked first, and that being do you just not know how to swim or are you unable to swim for a reason (disability or something). If you are fully capable of swimming (just don't know how) you will probably as stated already have to pass a "swim screening" of some type. I would believe that they would have some type of exception for those with a disability that prevents them from doing actual swims. I have read about people being certified who have disabilities. Good luck.

I'm assuming if he had a disability preventing him from swimming he would have said so. Also the language should have been "Is it possible for me to dive even though I can't swim" instead he said, "is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim." If he was unable to swim because of a disabilitity he shouldn't have worded it as something he doesn't know how to do. Therefore, I'm about 95% there isn't a disability preventing this guy from swimming.

GatorKev, you are right about how many disabled people go diving even though their swimming is poor. My step brother is partially paralysed and has an aquired brain injury from a car accident, so can't really swim. However, he has gone diving in the past - but heavily supervised and only to a shallow depth - basically they make sure he is breathing fine and then lead him around. There is a club in Melbourne where I am from that helps disabled people go diving but from my experience those dives are not really comparable to what is required in an Open Water course like the OP was referring to. So yea, I don't think that is a reason to give why swimming is not necessary for diving...

I'm assuming if he had a disability preventing him from swimming he would have said so. Also the language should have been "Is it possible for me to dive even though I can't swim" instead he said, "is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim." If he was unable to swim because of a disabilitity he shouldn't have worded it as something he doesn't know how to do. Therefore, I'm about 95% there isn't a disability preventing this guy from swimming.

Great point but we all know what assume means sometimes... First not all people word their statements properly sometimes which could lead to confusion in the question. Second not all people are comfortable having a disability and sharing with others whom they don't know. This person could have a disability in which they never thought they could learn to swim and could lead this person to say either statement of I can't swim or I don't know how to swim. Stop and think for a min, how many times have you heard someone around water, maybe at a pool, who says I can't swim? Knowing that they actually ment that they don't know how. Either way if you don't know how it means you can't.... Example... You can't speak spanish if you don't know how (even though you have the ability if you learn), so either statement would work.. :D

Saspotato, I am very sorry to hear about your step brother but it is awesome that he gets to do something as exciting as diving in his condition. Best wishes to you both.

I won't use names, but there was a very well known cave diver who had a phobia of water. Her instructor helped her overcome it, and she eventually did her full cave.

It's possible, how dedicated are you?

PADI OW diver here. IMHO, I certainly would NOT want to dive with a buddy who knows how to scubadive but doesn't know how to swim. Given a worst case scenario especially at the surface (well, we all seek the surface in this case), I would be able to extend rescue, but I don't think rescue can be extended to me by someone who is a non-swimmer.

The buddy system is supposed to be reciprocal. And the whole idea is to promote safe diving.

Just my two cents. :)

PADI OW diver here. IMHO, I certainly would NOT want to dive with a buddy who knows how to scubadive but doesn't know how to swim. Given a worst case scenario especially at the surface (well, we all seek the surface in this case), I would be able to extend rescue, but I don't think rescue can be extended to me by someone who is a non-swimmer.

The buddy system is supposed to be reciprocal. And the whole idea is to promote safe diving.

Just my two cents. :)

How would you know?

Back
Top Bottom