Is it OK to turn off O2 in Rebreather Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, that’s funny.
Don’t you think it would just be easier to plug in the whip from your bailout tank to your MAV?
Of course it would, I’m just wondering now why you think it would be best not to, as you gave the exemple first, I just responded at the solution given by you.

You’re digging a hole for yourself now btw

@JohnnyC I was taught "when in doubt, bailout", but then taught how to get back on the loop. That's the hard part.
SCR, open loop, and O2/dil feathering were all taught in my Mod 1 course.

Sure, and I would fully expect Ted to teach that stuff, beyond what the standards say. As @Superlyte27 mentioned, SCR isn't in his standards until CCR Cave; I don't know what agency he teaches for. If the Mod 1 standards only require bailout as the singular option, I guarantee there are instructors that ARE NOT going beyond what the standards require, and SOLELY teaching bail out.

None of the instructors I know would neglect to teach that stuff, since none of them are wankers, but I could see how an instructor would answer "bail out" to any failure, even one as potentially benign as superlye's example, because that's all the standards require. Now neither you nor I nor him would accept that as the primary solution provided that zero diluent is the only issue in that scenario, but I bet there are students out there that wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do other than flip the switch.

Edit: I get why some agencies standards just say "bail out" for any failure at the Mod 1 level. They've managed to condense down the failure response tree into one response. As opposed to this......

Failure Tree Analysis - Innerspace Systems Corp

Although personally, I'd much rather stay on the loop as long as possible.

I agree with Johnnyc

Back
Top Bottom