Is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zoomer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it just me or do some of you feel the same way? I'm going through my OW class and started thinking to myself "There is no way I would want to dive with XXXXX in my class" I'm sure there may be some that are thinking the same thing about me and I know they are doing and completing the same skills I am.... but....

Sorry, I cannot relate.

My wife was the only other student in my class... :)

You would be surprised at how often this thought goes through the minds of students. I personally think that it is healthy for you to learn to identify those people whose diving styles will not mesh with yours. Safety, motivation as well as other factors should be weighed as you try and select a buddy. I recommend that my students take the class with their buddy of choice (like an SO) so that they do things in a similar fashion. If the SO is already certified, they get a refresher course for free. Although, often times, it turns out to be a remedial course for them.

I am gearing up to complete my OW class this weekend, having just done the confined dives last weekend. I, like you, would be terrified to dive with some of the students. Some didn't do the classwork, didn't watch the DVD, didn't read the book, and wound up making dangerous mistakes in the pool (not really dangerous in the pool, but would be at deeper depths, like ascending too fast during a CESA).

i had an OW class of 3

for our OW dives we were joined by 2 other who had completed the class/pool session but missed their OW checkouts. One of the "new" guys was so far behind it wasn't even funny. I remember just hoping I didn't get paired with him. Well sure enough the last dive he is my buddy. Almost 0 viz in the quarry and he keeps floating away. twice i almost had to end my dive because he could not stay next to the group.

I got paired with "that guy" too, for both the pool & the ow dives... I actually had to grab his tank valve at one point during the OW dive because he was plummeting to the bottom of the quarry. Another dive that day he went rocketing to the surface by accident because he inflated his BCD too much. The instructor grabbed him to stop him & he was getting pulled up too, so I grabbed the instructor & the other instructor grabbed me to stop all of us... I would be afraid for my life diving with this guy. Really nice guy, just needs a lot more practice...

Is it just me or do some of you feel the same way? I'm going through my OW class and started thinking to myself "There is no way I would want to dive with XXXXX in my class" I'm sure there may be some that are thinking the same thing about me and I know they are doing and completing the same skills I am.... but....

Hmm, the only other person in my OW class was my instructor...

(admittedly, his chain-smoking between dives wasn't encouraging)

I firmly believe that the skill level that one walks away from OW with is directly proportional to what they bring to the table. The more you've studied, and the more drills that you are able to visualize beforehand, coupled with the mindset to really learn how to dive, will give you a tremendous advantage over those students who are just out to get the card and just "get by". As you've found out...those divers are not hard to spot.

You should also be aware that some faltering students are really trying but just might need a dedicated buddy to help them along, and there's your chance to really shine.

I WAS "that guy" . . . No buoyancy control. Descended on my back. Kicked like somebody shaking out laundry.

Sometimes people just don't learn this stuff quickly.

There's no excuse for not reading the material, and I was kind of bemused by my classmates who, despite many repetitions, could not work the tables. But clumsiness in the water is remediable, if the diver wants it and is willing to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom