Is it crazy thinking that I wanna be a commercial diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMJohn said: Is your real desire to dive commercially or to become a professional diver/turn diving into a career? If your reason for considering this is because you love diving and wish you could turn it into a career then have you ever considered training to become a divemaster? DM's don't make much money, if any at all, but in your area it could become a fun weekend job.

Some good advice, another thing those interested in working as a diver should consider learning is welding and burning using oxyacetylene topside and Broco UW. That and signaling a crane are the very basic tools of the trade for oil patch offshore work, and a lot of inland diving, power plants and refineries ect. If money is your motivation, hire in with a major, union, oil company. Good pay, job security, benefits, and retirement. If your ahead of the curve, start your own diving business, let them work for you....:D

Last edited:
  • Responsible for the overall recovery planning, coordination and execution of the post-launch recovery operations
  • Coordinate and plan recovery vessel(s) for missions and training events
  • Coordinate support divers for missions and training events
  • Work with various spacecraft subsystem teams to ensure all recovery requirements are met
  • Build and maintain project schedules, identifying potential bottlenecks, developing proper resolutions, and reporting to management
  • Oversee the recovery team during missions, ensuring the safety of all employees and hardware
  • Lead team member on the recovery boat for all the operations.
  • Asset with the hands-on recovery efforts, which may include things such as crane operations, loading and unloading sea vans, rigging operations, etc.

• Familiarity with Environmental Health and Safety on OSHA, SCBA and SCAPE requirements is preferred
  • Experience working with lifting large loads and shipping
  • Commercial Dive knowledge

• BS degree required. A degree in engineering (mechanical, marine, etc.) is preferred.
  • Minimum of 3-5 years of related experience leading a team in complex operations
  • Technical project management experience
  • Experience leading dive, recovery, research, or other closely related complex operations
  • A demonstrated success of planning and executing large scale operations while maintaining a safe work environment
  • Ability to coordinate a divertive group of individuals and resources for successful recovery operations
  • Must enjoy hands-on work and not be afraid to roll up your sleeves and get dirty
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  • Ability to think quickly during operations with safety always in mind
  • Highly detail oriented, diligent, and hardworking individual
  • Ability to perform work expectations and thrive in a high-stress environment
  • Must be able to travel for extended period of time and maintain a flexible schedule
  • This position requires the person to work on a large boat for extended periods of time
  • Physical requirements: Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting, climbing hand over hand and lifting 50 lbs.

• BS degree required. A degree in engineering (mechanical, marine, etc.) is preferred.
  • Minimum of 3-5 years of related experience leading a team in complex operations
  • Technical project management experience
  • Experience leading dive, recovery, research, or other closely related complex operations
  • A demonstrated success of planning and executing large scale operations while maintaining a safe work environment
  • Ability to coordinate a divertive group of individuals and resources for successful recovery operations
  • Must enjoy hands-on work and not be afraid to roll up your sleeves and get dirty
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  • Ability to think quickly during operations with safety always in mind
  • Highly detail oriented, diligent, and hardworking individual
  • Ability to perform work expectations and thrive in a high-stress environment
  • Must be able to travel for extended period of time and maintain a flexible schedule
  • This position requires the person to work on a large boat for extended periods of time
  • Physical requirements: Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting, climbing hand over hand and lifting 50 lbs.
Space Exploration Technologies Corporation - Careers

You only live once. Don’t go the rest of your life coulda woulda shoulda. ///
Money isn’t real anyway.

Wise words. True words. Just keep in mind, if you'd like to be successful, you need to go full throttle. If it's your 'dream', you'll be happy. If you're posting to ask others opinions because YOU'RE unsure and second guessing... you need more experience or you need to say maybe just isn't good enough. I believe that goes with everything, not just comm. diving or any other want.

If it's what you want to spend your life on, ignore what other ppl say. There are people that are successful at everything, it's your choice to be one of them or a sheep in the herd.

Hey Salt, Im a veteran too, just some info.. The Post 911 Bill only covered 17.500 of my 18,500 tuition bill and that was with 100% coverage. I had to front the remaining grand, plus ALL the dive gear which was for me, about 5,500 for a total of 6,500. Not trying to discourage you at all, just letting you know because initially the VA told me it was all covered, then came along that lovely change of policy which they then changed making me pay for all but the 17,500.

Don't ask anyone else, SuperCT. Ask yourself what makes your heart come alive and go do it! The world doesn't need safe men...it needs real men who follow their hearts and dreams. Go for your Adventure!! I did and I don't regret a minute of it!

Bob

Don't ask anyone else, SuperCT. Ask yourself what makes your heart come alive and go do it! The world doesn't need safe men...it needs real men who follow their hearts and dreams. Go for your Adventure!! I did and I don't regret a minute of it!

Bob

The world doesnt need safe men?? Im fairly certain with the advice he gave on the other post about just buying scuba gear and start salvaging that we will see something in the SCUBA related court cases section.

The world doesnt need safe men?? Im fairly certain with the advice he gave on the other post about just buying scuba gear and start salvaging that we will see something in the SCUBA related court cases section.

Re-read my post - then apologize. - Bob

Im not apologizing.Your making a statement in another post to purchase gear offline that someone without formal training should be operating and saying go for it because the world doesnt need safe people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom