Is it Common to have Jaw Trouble After Two Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have said clenching the mouthpiece and holding the clench for up to an hour will probably cause muscle spasms or pain. You'd probably have just about as much pain if you held a clench that long on the surface.

The other possiblity is that you have some irritation of the temporal mandibular joint - TMJ.
Read more about TMJ disorders here. --- TMJ Disorders
The thickness of the bite tabs means that your jaw isn't closed in it's normal position, so there's a bit of added stress on the joint and in some folks this can cause lasting pain.

In either case it'll improve on it's own, but to prevent muscle spasms don't clench the mouth piece so hard. Once you get past your initial nervousness you'll realize that the mouthpiece won't fall out and you'll learn to hold it loosely.

If your pain is from TMJ, help yourself by moving your jaw and the mouthpiece from time to time. I find chewing on it slightly keeps things loose, though it does cost me a $6.00 mouthpiece every 50 dives or so.

Good luck, and don't worry, this is just one of those newbie problems that's easily fixed.

I have the same problem, even if snorkeling for extended periods. My teeth even feel a little loose and my bite doesn't fit correctly after two dives. And I used to get headaches and not even want to dive the next day!!!

Now I use the Sea Cure mouthpiece, and I can do 6 dives a day no problem. No pain, no headaches. And I dive multiple days back to back no problem.

Now if I can get a better L4-5 disc, I'm good to go.

C

Now if I can get a better L4-5 disc, I'm good to go.

C

Amen... I have made a new best friend out of my wife's chiropractor. It probably helps but I am still looking for ways to reduce the load.

Richard

I am a new diver too and have had a similar problem. I would have jaw soreness after a dive. I had a biteguard made by my dentist office. I use it overnight for a night or two before I dive and after I dive. It seems to help my jaw adjust to being in a different position for the time of the dive. Worth asking

Is your second stage metal or plastic? Mine is metal and the weight of it makes my jaw hurt if using the conventional mouthpiece. I switched to the SeaCure self-molded mouthpiece and no longer have issues. With the SeaCure I can relax my jaw and the mouthpiece rests on my bottom teeth. With the conventional mouthpiece, I had to grip with my teeth to keep it in place.

I've had this happen to me too. I also cast my vote for "biting too hard." If it's cold, or you're a little nervous or excited (which does happen to just about everyone sooner or later) you can really clamp down without realizing it.

Then of course all of the things that you've seen about DCS/DCI come to mind, and the gears start turning in your head... I think it's a right of scuba passage.

Some cheaper reg sets can cause this problem. Some assemblies use a swivel, or a longer hose, which allows more freedom of movement at the second stage. This can make a big difference. Ask your dive shop about this, if you haven't already.

WOW! Thank you all for your support, I really appreciate it! :)
I think you're all correct about the "bitting down too hard" reason...
I do not have any teeth fillings and so that can be easily rulled out...
I have noticed myself bitting on the mouthpiece, sometimes unconciously and others because it was cold and stopped me from shivering, but I don't recall seeing any teeth marks on them...
So far I've only used a plastic second stage, I can't imagine what it could be like with metal :S

I'm sold and all for the idea of a customized mouth piece, I'll look into it soon (after I buy some regs and a bcd!). Till then I'm going to try wiggling my jaw about every now and then and practice removing my mouthpiece every so often...

Don Francisco, I read about TMJ and it's spot on. I have had the "locked jaw" problem prior to diving. Trying to bite down on a full apple or a whole carrot would trigger it at times, others just a big yawn. However, the pain only lasted around 10 minutes max... I can see how bitting down on a mouth piece for a long time could make it worse...

Thank you all again for your advice and usefull information!

Best Wishes & Happy Holidays,
Sandra

Sandra,

I also used to have something like mild TMJ and clenching the mouth piece did not do it any good. What did help solve the problem was seeing my chiropractor. They crack things other than backs.

It sounds to me like one side of your jaw may be "sticking" (releasing slower) than the other side. If this is the case ask a chiropractor about it. Mine is completely gone after going for 5 or 6 visits.

Back
Top Bottom