Is hypnosis worth a try?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hopeful diver:
Try as I might I cannot rid myself of the thought of all the water above me when diving. I really want to dive - I get all the mags, the books etc and am really enthusiastic but when it comes to being horizontal under the water I start to feel uncomfortable. I guess some of this is due to feeling a bit 'unbalanced' but in the meantime is hypnosis worth a try? I really really want to go and dive but this is my big stumbling block.

This is a normal feeling. Just start shallow, build up slowly and respect your comfort zone.

R..

I second, or even third, the motion about hanging out in a pool for a while. When I took my OW class we started in the 3 foot section and worked our way to 5 feet then worked our way to 12 feet all while doing mask clearing and other such skills.

It really helped us to be able to get comfortable being underwater for extended periods of time.

Before going back out to the ocean, where you are already overwhelmed with the unknown, I would try a pool where I can see in all directions and am not so deep that I can get into real trouble.

Personally, I'd advise against tricking yourself into not being afraid of diving.

I wouldn't worry! I even scare myself sometimes thinking about doing an 100-80ft dive, and all that water above me...ahh! But once you start your descent and you start seeing an amazing ship wreck below, the little creatures living inside it and your buddy hanging close by, the water above me doesn't concern me as much.

Just get diving and get comfortable with it. That's what I'm doing and it's working.
Happy diving!:14:

I was trained in hypnosis / hypnotherapy at the University of Washington

Hypnosis can be very useful but if you haven't had any previous experience with it you may not want to try it out on diving.

The benefit of hypnosis is that it allows you to focus on a subject or issue without the prejudicial baggage that surrounds the issue and that we all carry around with us.

I have been diving for more years than I usually admit to being in age. I have dove with litterally hundreds of dive buddies and my experience as a scuba instructor tells me that for the most part you need to hone your skills by diving, diving, diving, under the guidance of someone whose skills are significantly more advanced, A divemaster or instructor etc. Make the point of your dives to become better and the self confidence will follow once you proove to yourself that you can do it.

I would also suggest that you really try to establish what it is that bothers you about diving. Is it the Distance/depth of the water or the fact that you can't breath for that distance/depth in an out of air situation? Is it the level of understanding that you have in regard to diving?

Here is an excercise that usually works for divers I have encountered with similar problems in the past is to take a long tape measure. Mark out 130 feet on a straight horizontal line (the maximum sport diving depth). Set a chair or other type of pole, standard etc. on the far mark. Look at how far away it is. You will suprise yourself how short a distance this seems on a horizontal plane. I gurartee you it is no farther away on a vertical plane. Now take a few relaxing breaths then hold your breath and run the distance. See how easily you can cover that distance. After that take a few more relaxing breaths, Hold your breath and walk the distance. Most people can still cover the distance without breathing.

If the problem has more to do with the increasing physiological dangers of diving, again I would say that you need to Practice, Practice, Practice and make sure that you really understand the information in your dive manual. Take additional classes, especially classes that deal with specific fears you may have.

Unlike basketball where anyone can walk out on a court and toss a ball at the hoop then go home without injury having never really understood the sport, Diving is a sport that you really need to understand. Study all the information in your dive manual and skills practice is a must. Once you can clear your mask in 6 feet of water easily you should be able to clear it in 100 feet of water easily...

See you in the Sea

Just a thought......If you decide to try the hypnosis do it on the Surface.........

Ok seriously, find an instructor that you are comfortable with and try a Discover scuba in a pool.

Yes do it ...Try hypnosis!!! It cured my College Professor of smoking. It was almost immediate and he tried for many years every method available....Hypnosis was the only one that worked.
My wife is Claustorphobic, the only thing that helps her overcome that feeling is to stay in the water. She dives about 25 days of diving a year and that is barely enough. If she did 50 per year or spread out those days over a more consistant period of time instead of two or three weeks of vacation diving it would also help.

You love to be underwater... you love to be underwater...
optical_illusion.jpg

Please PayPal me $50.00. :D

If you search you'll find that there are many stories of people who had initial difficulties and overcame them.

Go snorkel, get comfortable in the water breathing through your mouth.

Maybe diving is for you, maybe not. You'll find out once you spend some time in the pool. Both on the under the water :)

Good luck

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom