Is Halls Diving Academy the way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we got that the first time. Prefer you go into more detail. Either way, no need to post the same thing more than once. If someone doesn't read the first time, then let them learn the hard way.

Sorry didn't re-read the whole old thread. I assume I posted something similar before......I think my dad said: "You don't have to remember what you said if you tell the truth".....sorry for being redundant. They suck.

Sorry didn't re-read the whole old thread. I assume I posted something similar before......I think my dad said: "You don't have to remember what you said if you tell the truth".....sorry for being redundant. They suck.

Okay...but WHAT were they dishonest about? HOW were they unprofessional?

You want the whole story?? I'll make it short.

We booked a trip. Confirmed in the morning, showed up in the morning for the afternoon dive, paid our money, waited around the shop for a good hour because they told us to be there early. They told us the boat was still out diving and there was 100 ft visibility and flat calm conditions. We waited around another hour and it was time for us to depart and they said.. Sorry it is so nice out there, the boat decided to stay out, We are cancelling the charter. Sorry you wasted your whole day. Too bad we didn't let you know earlier so you could book another boat for a perfect afternoon. Of course they never mentioned at any time that there was a potential for cancellation (baring weather or mechanical of course)

Oh and by the way, all those tanks you and your 3 friends unloaded and are sitting by the dock... the ones you rented from your local shop, 300 miles away... yeah those tanks, you would never have been allowed to take those tanks on our boat anyway, because we never allow ANY rental tanks on our boat, unless you rent them from us.

No my other posts I guess are my pics. This is my first actual post. Sorry for the confusion. Stay away from halls unless you like b.s., and prefer unprofessional instructors, who don't stand by their words.

I paid more going to College of Oceaneering, and got such great training, with professional attitudes, and I learned so much more without struggling. It was so much more physically demanding, but less stressfull. With Halls, you weren't quite sure what was going to happen from one day to the next, that's how unprofessional they are. At times, an instructor even left us hanging while we were floating in the quary, just to socialize with some friends that happen to stop by. And so much more.

And don't even get me started on how filthy the so called dorms were. I'll just say one word, disgusting.

I have been teaching sine 1995, been around the world a couple dozen times worked in various places (instruction) and have ran several shops.

I live in the keys and know TONS of people in the industry from manufacturers, sales reps, dive operators, video guys etc etc... I recently moved back to the Keys in May and was thinking of working for Hall's ( I am a Course Director)- SO, I called a friend who is at the top of the food chain for one of the major certifying agencies. I simply asked what you can you tell me about them to which I recieved the "politically correct" answer of - "Well, he is always hiring".... needless to say I dont work there.

NOW, with that said, what everyone says about the living arrangements IS correct. As far as paying far to much for what you get, that is correct. And about Bob being about money that is def correct! (FYI....He owns a Rolls Royce AND an airplane)

Does he produce a good product - WITHOUT A DOUBT - I have had three of his graduates on my payroll (in three dif locations) and they were all great. AND they all had the same complaints, about the money, the attitudes and the all around B.S.

Would I reccommend them.. I dont know, I have not attended the program(s) but there are plenty of places for instructor training that are far less in price with just as good (if not better) training.

Do your research...

I am looking to enroll in their 14 wk program as well, however, I live in Maine and have not had a chance to visit the center.

can anyone please give me reviews of their time at the school , as well as diving rec with them?
google maps shows a scary sight of the location too, so if you could shed some insight on what the location looks like too that would be great!

Thanks
Brittany

---------- Post added March 6th, 2015 at 02:36 PM ----------

Did you end up enrolling in their program?
I am looking to enroll...

I am from Maine and wont have a chance to visit before I enroll..

I was wondering if everything is included in the price of the pro courses. Like is food provided or am i going to have to get a part time job while attending?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom