Is dry suit worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you mention ice diving, what, six times? Sounds like you're itching to get some more cold water :)

But seriously, if you dive regularly in water in the 50-60 range, a drysuit is simply a fantastic investment; it'll likely be the biggest positive difference you'll experience in diving (and you're hearing this from the likes of folks who spend $1500 on flashlights and $3000 on scooters). Even when I'm in Hawaii diving 75 degree water, during the surface interval and second or third dive of the day I'm shivering just wishing I brought my drysuit with me.

I spent the last year saying that I wouldn't invest in a dry suit.

Today I dived the HMCS MacKenzie and th G.B. Church wrecks in Pacific waters off of Victoria BC. It was Awesome! And it wouldn't have happened had I not been using a dry suit.

Cheers! :wink:

You should take a look at the Whites Fusion Dry Suit, It is very light and travel worthy. (In some areas it is made by Scubapro)

Whites Fusion Sport

Scubapro Fusion

I really think you will be surprised at how easy it can be packed.

Sorry if this has already been said by others, I haven't read all the prior posts.

There is nothing like diving wet. Fishes dive wet. There is no other such freedom as being wet in water, and there is nothing like diving dry. So after you do plenty of research and go fiddle with as many as you can and then before you appease the drysuit gods do plenty more research and fiddle some more, You Buy One, because in order to do more, longer, you need more.

A very interesting feeling under there in one of those.

By the way, there are regs out there that whilst not being featured as cold water, are, or are adaptable. You may have some.:laughsnow:

I started diving cold (44-53F) local water & a dry suit - after logging 200 wetsuit dives in the tropics. It took some patience and time to adjust to the new suit. During that period, whenever I had the chance I was thrilled to slip back into the wetsuit.

Fast forward 200+ drysuit dives.

It took a while to gain equal skill and control. A well fitting suit made a HUGE difference in the learning curb, but now diving the drysuit is second nature.

At this moment I can’t imagine shivering in a wet suit and last summer I choose to dive dry in 76F. A good drysuit is just so comfortable ;-). I love my DUI TLS350!

I think the water would probably have to be warmer than 84F for me to crawl back into that tight soggy wet suit.

I use a tropical weight dry suit (DUI) - definitely worth the money. I now wear the 3 mil in warmer water and switch to the dry suit below 80 degrees (I live in southeast Georgia so I have a different concept of "cold" than most of you). Suit is easier to handle on deck, more comfortable on deck even in hot weather, and am diving with 2 lbs. less than with the 7 mil I formerly used. Granted you won't be ice diving in this thing but combined with Xerotherm undies it's a go for me.

Anything less than 70 is dry for me, less than 75 for multiple dives such as on a liveaboard. In addition, it will provide you with redundant buoyancy.

I can handle 55F-60F in my 5mm wetsuit fine. However when fall, winter, and spring are in the air, the SI sucks and the second dive is miserable, and there is never a third dive. I bought a Fusion Bullet last year and WOW! I still dive wet in the summer, but my next dive in the local waters will be dry again. Can't beat it. :)

You should take a look at the Whites Fusion Dry Suit, It is very light and travel worthy. (In some areas it is made by Scubapro)

Whites Fusion Sport

Scubapro Fusion

I really think you will be surprised at how easy it can be packed.

Sorry if this has already been said by others, I haven't read all the prior posts.

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was looking at.

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was looking at.

Test-drive more than one suit, by more than one manufacturer. Compare ease of entry with thick undergarments as well as mobility/fit and ease-of-use underwater. Finally, how much extra will it cost for suspenders, padded knees and bellows pockets on the thighs? How much extra will the undergarments cost? Do you fit any off-the-shelf suit well, or should you think of a custom?

Food for thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom