Is diving any good in Wilmington?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
please local folk how do u dive there>? what to do? i can exchange nor cal info.

Almost all of the diving I do is out of Wilmington and I love it. There are two main charter/dive shops in Wilmington. Aquatic Safaris and Scuba Now. Check out their websites. Aquatic Safaris's website has a pretty descriptive list of most of the dive sites near Wilmington.

Wilmington diving is good. Boats going out right now are limited, because 1) it's cold and 2) the wind has been howling for some time right now.

When are you planning on visiting?

I haven't gone out of Wilmington but tend to think it's pretty good. Maybe check out divingcarolina; they have a six pack boat. Up the coast a little bit is Morehead City; definitely good stuff out of there but try both and see what you like.

Diving is great but very weather dependent, even in summer. Aquatic Safaris is great when they go out, but tend to cancel far too easily ( it seems to our group ) and usually at the last minute. We had 5 trips scheduled last summer, only managed to get out to dive twice and when you drive from 3 1/2 hrs away, that gets frustrating. When you do get out however....ABSOLUTELY awesome diving! We plan to try the private charters this season and see how they do ( Blackbeard Scuba and DivingCarolina ).

Have well over 100 dives with Aquatic Safaris. When they cancel they try to do so by 6pm the night before. In my case that is fine since I am only 2:15 away. Another great thing is their reservation policy. You can make a reservation and have up until 5 or 6 days before the dive to cancel. Much more flexible than the Morehead operations. Especially for some one who likes to book ahead of time but things happen and needs to change a week or two out.

Diving is wrecks and ledges. The good ledges start at about 23 miles out. We have dull sand bottom most places but the ledges can have a vertical of 10-15 feet and stretch a long way. Covered with coral and Marine growth and lots of fish life (and lobsters, big lobsters). Top of ledge maybe at 85 ft and bottom around 100.

Lots of the regulars dive nitrox and larger tanks like HP100s or bigger. No guide in the water unless you pay for it extra. Some sites allow spearfishing some do not. None allowed on the Hyde wreck but can on the ledges or the Gill. Solo permitted if you are experienced. You will see rebreathers on some of the deeper dives where both dives at the same spot. Check first.

Also shark tooth and fossil diving on some of the ledges over by frying pan towers. Those are around 100 ft deep. Frying pan is a long haul but a great dive if conditions are good. Depth around the tower is only 45ft but you are out closer to the gulf and get a great variety of fish. Some shallow ledges near there.

They run two boats ASI and ASII. The larger boat with more sheltered area is the ASI and that is the boat that usually makes the longer runs.

They run a great operation and are very safety conscious. Personally my success rate is in over 60% but it depends greatly on the time of year. It is NC and it is open water.

I hope the weather will be good on Sunday, September 3rd around Wilmington. I'll be diving with Aquatic Safaris for 2 boat dives in Markham / Hyde. I'd also plan to hire a guide / DM, since I have never been there and the cost seems to be very reasonable ($35/day). If anyone would like to join me there, that will be great!

Weather has been dicey last few days.
Good luck.

I hope the weather will be good on Sunday, September 3rd around Wilmington. I'll be diving with Aquatic Safaris for 2 boat dives in Markham / Hyde. I'd also plan to hire a guide / DM, since I have never been there and the cost seems to be very reasonable ($35/day). If anyone would like to join me there, that will be great!

We'll be diving with Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington a few days before you (August 26 and 27th). We'll be diving the Rosin on Saturday and the Markham / Hyde on Sunday. The Markham / Hyde dives are very popular. However, my LDS owner who put the trip together says that the Rosin is one of his favorite wreck dives.

Steve, how is the Cassimer? Olympus will make the trip on extended days, but I think it would be easier to dive it out of Wilmington

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom