Is Diver Alert (Whistle on LP inflator) DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heck, we even dove air in our fundies class.

Tom

The way I read it was she meant they dont have the option of it being "perfectly DIR" every time. There may be some small detail that keeps the dive from being DIR and at that point the diver has the option of diving with the small detail or sitting the dive out.

The whole "perfectly DIR" navel-gazing phenomenon mostly only occurs when engaging in Internet Diving. Most of the T2/C2 divers I've met know how to make small compromises while avoiding the big ones, and know the difference.

The whole "perfectly DIR" navel-gazing phenomenon mostly only occurs when engaging in Internet Diving. Most of the T2/C2 divers I've met know how to make small compromises while avoiding the big ones, and know the difference.

Bingo.

Exactly ... you ALWAYS have the option to sit out a dive ... but at what point does that become a practical alternative?

In most of the world, perfect DIR-ness simply isn't an option. At that point (and given that it's probably cost you several thousand dollars to take this trip) are you going to sit out because the boat operator isn't DIR-certified?

Not me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A small concession is one thing, but if a dive seems just downright dangerous, you can always opt out.

And clearly you agree :p

Most of the T2/C2 divers I've met know how to make small compromises while avoiding the big ones, and know the difference.

Yup, thinking divers.

My comment about not being able to be perfectly DIR all the time was just as it has been explained. When I dove off the boats in Indonesia or Australia or in Maui, I have only the reputation of the dive operator to go on. I went 10,000 miles to do this diving, and I have to assume that, given the good rep, the dive op is reliable. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little additional insurance in that situation. I also think it's hard to have too many ways to signal the boat when you are diving in high current locations.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that each and every "DIR dive" involves exactly the same equipment. That's demonstrably untrue. Not all dives require doubles, or deco bottles, or stages, or scooters, or reels, or blah blah blah.

yeah but everything has to be black

and don't you guys get the exact same tattoo on the back of the neck?

:blinking:

seriously, only a moron would think that every "DIR dive" requires the same equipment. let's get real here.

seriously, only a moron would think that every "DIR dive" requires the same equipment. let's get real here.

They most certainly do!! Start with a navel, you know you're hard core DIR when its got its own boltsnap.

I also carry this alert system. It covers a lot of issues and fits right in my hip pocket. It might not be DIR?

Beerdivesetup.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom