Is Diver Alert (Whistle on LP inflator) DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, I say this because it's what I do.

Remember, there is no I in DIR. Oh, wait a minute...

:D

Don't remember who conducted the tests, but a handful of whistles and SMBs were tested in real conditions. (2-3 foot seas, I believe) The visibility/audibility were tested at expanding radii.

scubadiving.com/gear/accessories/2007/10/lost-and-found-at-sea

Dive Alert
October 2007 Scubalab: Surface Signaling Devices: Dive Alert

It's the original integrated inflator air horn, and still the loudest we have tested. The company claims that it can be heard up to a mile away, and our results proved them right. The quality of sound is similar to the high pitch of a smoke detector alarm but 100 times louder. At this distance we couldn't see our "diver," but knew he was out there. Dive Alert is offered in three different models to fit a variety of inflators. Price: $50 with standard air couplings.

Point of fact they are FAR louder than anything else available. They can be heard nearly a mile away, compared to only a few hundred yards for a "manual" whistle. If you need to signal the boat from a distance a Dive Alert is your best bet.

They are not audible over diesel engines at the distances/conditions where you really need them. Joe and Delia unfortunately demonstrated that ~3 yrs ago off Monterey (former GUE instructors, I wouldn't expect you to know their story's).

Sound is attentuated at the cube of distance and considering most diesels are ~65db it doesn't take much distance, or waves for a dive alert's signal to attentuate. Effective range to an operating boat is more like ~1,000 yards (a little bit more than 1/2 mile). To an quiet, anchored, boat with minimal waves about their range is obviously closer to the advertised amounts.

I don't understand why people read "could be heard up to a mile away" as "will be heard up to a mile away".

I carry a dive alert for some dives, but at best its a device of last resort. There are better DIR strategies for remaining found.

1/2 a mile or the possibility of being heard up to a mile away is better than no possibility at all.

1/2 a mile or the possibility of being heard up to a mile away is better than no possibility at all.

If you are losing the boat - you are either on a non-DIR charter and trying to make it work, or you don't know how to run the dive properly yourself.

A dive alert is no substitute for calling the dive at the dock if that's what it takes to stay found.

If you are losing the boat - you are either on a non-DIR charter and trying to make it work, or you don't know how to run the dive properly yourself.

Doesn't this highlight the fact that even GUE trained divers can have issues?

They are not audible over diesel engines at the distances/conditions where you really need them. Joe and Delia unfortunately demonstrated that ~3 yrs ago off Monterey (former GUE instructors, I wouldn't expect you to know their story's).

A dive alert is no substitute for calling the dive at the dock if that's what it takes to stay found.

There is never a guarantee that you will surface and find your boat, regardless of who the dive op is or if it's "DIR".

Maybe the captain had a medical event and the boat drifted away. Maybe it sank. There are all sorts of possible reasons for your boat to not be there.

Although a big SMB and a big light are a lot better at signalling a boat that's looking for you, a Dive Alert is much better at attracting attention from boats/shore people that aren't looking for you. Since you can just leave it in a pocket until it's needed, I'm not sure what the down-side would be.

Terry

um.. people make mistakes, GUE or not. And what of people that live in areas where there just aren't any GUE/DIR charters?

um.. people make mistakes, GUE or not. And what of people that live in areas where there just aren't any GUE/DIR charters?

Then load up on gear.

Maybe get at least 5 of them fancy LP inflator whistles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom