Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect 99.8% of divers on vacation don't call ahead, and check local hospitals for what kind of dive-related treatments are available, nor would that be very efficient.
One of the reasons people go to Bonaire and that it is a budding tech location is because of the local chamber and high quality and affordable services offered.

I don't know about you guys, but it is shocking to me that a Cave CCR diver decides to do a 150 minute dive wearing a drysuit with no pee valve... That just speaks volumes

Several people in this thread appear to have something highly personal against Gus and Woody. It's not enough to talk about what an appropriate or ideal action for both parties to take, but rather about ensuring more people join the hate bandwagon. For some reason it's really important everyone know Woody is rich, Gus and Woody are entitled, their videos suck, and the video in question is boring and longwinded, they make inappropriate jokes, and how everything they do is stupid.

34109411:
i am surprise also they didn't thing about in water recompression

FFM might be the preferable option to have but most definitely not a necessity for IWR of a conscious and alert diver. I have an 80AL of 100% on my boat for both in water and surface O2 options. Probably better discussed in another thread..

I’d do the math on the recommended iwr protocol.

30 to 90 min at 30ft
120 min ascent

So 30 to 90cuft at 30ft and then another 90cuft in the ascent. Assuming .5cuft/min

the denial of divers that they are bent is VERY common.. Very

In the Caymans when I was an Instructor back in the 90's it was more normal for people to insist they were OK when they obviously weren't than say 'hey, i don't feel great" and of those that did say that, 99% of the time it was a woman, not a guy. Guys almost always would argue with us when we expressed concern, suggested oxygen, go to the hospital etc. It was not uncommon to have a diver that you would almost forced to go on oxygen on the boat, refuse to go to the hospital, get mad at you for trying to make them go and then the next day when you come to work find out they did in fact go at midnight when the pain/symptoms got unbearable. As a volunteer chamber attendant, between 10pm and 3 am and you get a call it was a guy that wouldn't listen to their body earlier or their instructor/divemaster/spouse/travelling companions that they were likely bent. Just saying.

Now, the amount of folks that would argue with you they weren't bent when trying to get them to breath oxygen, go to the hospital etc and then went 6-10 hrs later when in much worse shape that ended up blaming you for bending them, not being forceful enough (and have had an ambulance at the shop and they refuse to get in the darn thing, then get mad you didn't force them) wasn't a zero either.
Yes, but in this case we have a diver that admitted he had a serious problem the moment he exited the water, and put himself on oxygen.

Repeatedly.

For hours.

And still thinks it is someone else's fault.

Help wasn't coming at speed they felt they needed.

As I mentioned in another comment, an impaired person is often the wrong person to diagnose themselves.

Immediate medical checkups can also be extremely expensive, which is why a lot of people avoid going "for the sniffles." That is one of the major reasons why I got DAN insurance, was so I wouldn't have that excuse. Plus (in theory) DAN should be able to help tell me whether or not it is worth going for a checkup if I am feeling a bit off.
If you call them.

(Of course, part of this thread is how much DAN actually does this or not. I'm inclined to think they usually do, even if they may have "failed" some in this instance.)
If you call them at 5pm they can do a lot more for you a lot quicker than if you call them at 830pm.

I'm curious what altitude the cabin pressure was on that flight. There are significant complication risks when flying with DCS. A med-evac helicopter could likely have maintained a lower altitude and higher cabin pressure than a GA aircraft. Did the pilot know to run cabin pressure higher than normal, etc. Probably, but there are risks with grabbing a random plane/pilot for a DCS evac.

HIs experience at the Nassau chamber and subsequent need for treatment in Atlanta(?) -- yet another chamber ride, according to the account -- would suggest otherwise . . .
If accurately reported. My big issue with the whole story is that we have number of things reported that don't quite add up. Particularly their behavior for the first 3 hours after surfacing does't make sense given their description of the symptoms during those hours.

Along with a clickbait thread title.

I resent the fact that many of my posts are deleted, but that title is allowed to stand.

That's a big leap of assumption that DAN was even aware of them, or knew what they had available etc. Your post makes it sound that DAN was aware and found them wanting when there is nothing to support the hypothesis.
Everything is a huge leap of assumptions at this point. Including your assumption about what DAN might have known or not known about some random transport service....

Do you disagree with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom