Is certification necessary??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell me, how many people have walked on the moon and who was the last one?

---------- Post added November 27th, 2015 at 01:40 PM ----------

Tell me, how many people have walked on the moon and who was the last one?

Oh, and who certified Jacques-Yves Cousteau???

A certification card shows others, dive boats, resort operators and shops, you have some knowledge. With a card (certification and credit) they will let you on their boats, rent you their gear and fill your cylinders.
Purchase your own compressor and never dive with a commercial operator and you'll be happy I'm sure.

Depending on the shop, you might be able to get your tanks filled too, as long as they're within hydro and VIS requirement. My shop doesn't require a cert card to get them to fill your own tanks, only to use theirs.

---------- Post added December 1st, 2015 at 10:35 AM ----------

For a Beneteau, I would guess it to be more like .01%

Yup. Interesting that he owns it, but doesn't know how to spell it...

Depending on the shop, you might be able to get your tanks filled too, as long as they're within hydro and VIS requirement. My shop doesn't require a cert card to get them to fill your own tanks, only to use theirs....

Scuba cylinders are used to store air for air rifles (BB guns). There is no need to have an OW cert to get compressed air.

I would certainly never support or defend diving without proper training. I do think the question is interesting. Having been away from diving since the mid 90's, it seems odd that there are soo many certifications out there, as well as inconsistent stages and paths for advanced training. For example, Nitrox was just getting somewhat popular in the early 90's when I was active. I signed up and paid for the class, but due to travel schedule and life, I never got my c-card. I had access to the gas, and was very well versed in the training material. Shoot, one of my dive buddies was an instructor. Getting back into the sport now and am trying to re-gain proficiency and update all my knowledge base.

So.. I am a good example of somebody that does not really "need" a C-card for this particular dive profile (Nitrox). I have been trained, and am proficient. I have access to the fills, and know that safety is not an issue. I could go on diving at my current level without any issue. Would my life insurance refuse to pay out if i died while diving 31%?? Maybe.

Anyway, I am signing up for a Nitrox class! Not because I really need it, but because at some point I will need to card as a pre-req for further training. Plus it will help me get to know an instructor, before committing to a more advanced class.

I do think the dive industry can be in danger of cultivating a bit of an anti-certification mentality. Whe have all heard the P-A-D-I acronym right? I went to dive Dutch Springs with a co-worker back in ~'03. We had never dove together before, and he asked me where I had been certified for 'doubles'?. I said: huh?? I had never heard of such a thing. I learned to use them when strapped them on getting ready for cavern/Intro training. Seems like somebody was filling his head that you needed training for damn near everything imaginable.

Once again, I am not against good training. But it seems a bit much sometimes.

Reactions: BRT
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom