Is Calling Someone an Ahole and a Jerk Against Tos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^^^^^^
ALERT ALERT ManMiDol failure above

DandyDon:
:shakehead

WHAT?!

H2Andy:
...why don't you ever care about how I feel??? why do you not LISTEN to me??

:eyebrow:

TRULY NON Man-midol words if I've ever heard them....wait, I have--my wife's calling:11:

clgsamson:
you're not goin to start a new thread on this, are you?

Nah, I have a feeling it would be pretty crappy. :wink:

DandyDon:
I don't know anything about the incident, nor do I want to. I do want to offer this suggestion...

On SB, in discussions open to all and often involving multiple members, unlike in private chats or private messages, when the need to called you on it" feels eminent - just don't.

Use tact, diplomacy, and 100 times more words to call the guy a jerk without getting caught at it; or

Better yet - just click the Report button. It's not tattle-telling, it's not a cowards way - it is actually supporting SB in a needed way. Then a third part Mod can deal with it, often more effectively as the other party is not going to be as defensive and close-minded.

Just a suggestion... Semper Fi :usa:

PS: Hehe at the airport recently, a lady noticed I'd used red & yellow ribbons on our luggage to differentiate from those with just one color ribbons and said "Hey, my son is a Marine, too...!"

GREAT points, Don & points that we often literally beg our members to do:

1. If a post hits a nerve, walk away for a while.( my personal minimum is 15-30 minutes but has extended up to 2-3 days).
2. If it is a ToS violation, report it.
2. If it is not a ToS violation but really gets your goat, read & re-read your response. Walk away for a while. (see above)
3. If, after posting you rethink or regret what you said, edit it. Follow up with a PM to the person you are responding to & post a follow up which <gasp> may actually include an apology to the OP. . Keep in mind that while we may comment on another member in one of the many chat threads that have sprung up on SB that both the general membership & the member in question may actually read those comments without being an active and involved member of the thread simply by using the "New Post" functionality that the members do. IOW, while certain forums are closed to posting without opting in, they are till reachable & visible, which makes them just as subject to the ToS as other forums.

The list could go on & on but I hope that the salient points are made. The membership of SB is broad & encompasses many, MANY members who do not necessarily engage themselves in day to day reading & participating in the lively communities that have sprung up on SB, That does not negate their membership, nor the respect that they are entitled to. Those that are so active must always be aware that they are only a portion of the overall membership & that their wants & desires do not always reflect the membership as a whole.

This is not rec.scuba. We try our best to maintain a safe environment for ALL our members. As much as we truly value all of our members, we recognize that we cannot be all things to all people. If a member feels that they are unfairly restricted by being held to the ScubaBoard ToS, we eventually have to admit that this may not be the best place for them. What I would challenge all of you with is that you would take some time to reflect on yourselves, & whether or not this board actually suits your purpose. If it does, GREAT!!! if not, then you need to find another place where you can be happy being you & move on. While you would always be welcomed back to utilize the amazing resource that SB is, the choice is ultimately yours , not ours.

Sincerely & honestly,

mdb:
jagfish: I'm not sure where we will be diving. Most likely off the Izu peninsula. Apollo maintains a complete service center with rental, scooters, etc. I am not yet sure of the dates for diving.

Dude! Do yourself a favor... hook up with The Jag!!! You will have a wonderful time both in the water & out of it!!! (voice of experience speaking)

Marvel:
Dude! Do yourself a favor... hook up with The Jag!!! You will have a wonderful time both in the water & out of it!!! (voice of experience speaking)
Hey! I just told him not to expect anything romantic:11: ...I don't want you to get his hopes up!:wink:

Marvel:
As much as we truly value all of our members, we recognize that we cannot be all things to all people. If a member feels that they are unfairly restricted by being held to the ScubaBoard ToSwe eventually have to admit that this may not be the best place for them. What I would challenge all of you with is that you would take some time to reflect on yourselves, & whether or not this board actually suits your purpose. If it does, GREAT!!! if not, then you need to find another place where you can be happy being you & move on. While you would always be welcomed back to utilize the amazing resource that SB is, the choice is ultimately yours , not ours.

Sincerely & honestly,
Why do I get the feeling that you'd be more than happy to see some people leave? This really sounds as if you think that some are simply NOK.

Kim:
Why do I get the feeling that you'd be more than happy to see some people leave? This really sounds as if you think that some are simply NOK.
Dude,

Why read crap into a post that just isn't there? Bitter just doesn't suit you... or anyone else.

Everyone agreed to abide by the ToS when they joined. I am sure not all took the time to read it, and so we continually remind people that in order to stay, they must abide by the ToS. There are some who want to make this into "DramaBoard" by trying to constantly push the limits. We suggest that if you CAN'T abide by the ToS that you go ahead and find a place that has none: rec.scuba.

Back
Top Bottom