Is Belize a good match for us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The currents in Belize are mainly in the cuts. There are sometimes north to south if there is a strong north wind.

The most dangerous time in the cuts is with a full or new moon tide, dropping fast with a strong trade wind blowing. The strong outgoing current makes the waves coming in stand almost straight up and down. Small boats can get swamped if you get broadside in those conditions. A kayak with an inexperienced driver could easily overturn.

Problem is, if you do overturn and can't get your kayak back, you have to swim to the side of the cut and risk getting scraped up on the coral But that's better than getting sucked a quarter mile out into the blue. It will be hard to see a person swimming in rough water.

When I came here from the Philippines (after living in Hawaii for 9 years), where there are 2 meter tides and ripping currents, I though, "****, this is nothing". But I've had my butt handed to me a few times here and was almost screaming for my momma. Never take it for granted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom