Is Belize a good match for us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks jlevine! The Paradise Villas sound a lot like what we are looking for. It appears that there are quite a few dive ops near by. Hoping to make our decision within the next couple of weeks. Places seem to be booking up fast!

Don't mess about choosing /booking your accommodations. February is the very busiest month for Ambergris Caye.

Chilly is right on regarding February. You definitely want to book in advance and not just show up. Just pay attention to cancellation penalties. Ambergris Caye is not one of those "cancel up to 6pm the day before" places. In terms of diving, I would not pre-pay for a dive package unless you felt you had to. If you stay "in town," there are several dive shops up and down the beach. Everyone on this forum has his/her own preference. Each shop has its own "vibe." Pick one. If you like it, stay there. If you don't, walk down the beach to the next one. In terms of depth, if the DM says he's going down beyond 80 feet, just tell him/her that you will only be going down to 80 feet. The DM will be fine with that if the DM can see you. You will likely find other people doing the same thing.

On a non-diving note, check TripAdvisor for restaurant recommendations. Yes, I know some people don't like that site but I have found it very helpful for food. You can filter out the noise if you read a larger sampling of reviews. Ambergris Caye has incredibly cheap street food that tastes great as well as high end places. Again, there's something for every budget on that island.

Thanks again everybody for your time and input. Looks like we will decided to try St. Croix this Feb. I am excited about this vacation but also nervous. The reports of crime etc. are unnerving. By the time I was able to secure the time off, Belize lodging became very tight and restricted. HOWEVER, we have some diving friends who have been looking into Belize as the next destination. I have saved all your suggestions for a Belize vacation in the late summer or early fall 2016. Lesson learned, plan early!

Early fall could be a dreamy time on Ambergris Caye or it could be frustrating as heck. September and October are traditionally the time that many restaurants, hotels and the like, take their own vacations and/or shutdown for renos and maintenance. That time of year has historically been the height os hurricane and tropical storm season. All that said, Ambergris Caye is starting to not have a "slow season" anymore and so the caution with regard to closures may become less of a concern as time goes by.

Yes, in february but might go to ambergris caye belize next september!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom